Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2013, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default totaly flaked out videocard ( kind of gripe ) and what is with the heat sink

well yesterday I received another 560ti video card that I bought from the buy/sell thread here I wanted to sli it with my gigabyte 560ti windforce card I already have . well I already ranted about this on the rants forum so I won't go into to much detail as to what happened.
so today I decided to try and figure out why my windoforce card decided to go cause BSODs just after booting to the desktop I am pretty sure it has to do with the FN mini hdmi on the gigabytes video card board that broke off . so I decidedto pull the fans and heat sink for a vidsual inspection . I couldn't really see anything accept for the where the HDMI plugin is I noticed that ( with my bad eyes) the connectors tha tsome seemed to be touching each other and well I don't have a cluse as to seperate then since the spacing is probably the size of a needle. but I also noticed that when I pulled the heat sink off there was globs ( I mean allot of ) paste every where I look at the heat sink itself and am really disappointed at how it wasn't smooth the thing has ridges to me it is like the pulled the heat sinks out of the press then instead of smoothing them down even a little but then just globbed on the thermal paste and slapped it onto the video card, I have never seen a heat sink that has had deep parallel ridges in it .
well I am not sure what I am going to do with this card since it is so flaky maybe I will just toss it in a box unless anyone has any suggestions lol.
Old August 20, 2013, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

yeah is ruff but the heat pipes across gpu ? buff/polish it up while its opened, remove the 4 threaded risers.

or slap on one of BrainEater's gpu pelt note single is 4 volt
Old August 20, 2013, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would but this card just isn't stable at all I tried it in a few different PCs and seconds after I get to the desktop it BSOD and the card isn't hot it is around 35c , the funny thing is tha tit was working great until I added in the second card and then my sytem became unstable , so I originally thought that it was the newer card so I just ran the newer card and my system ran perfectly , I pulled that card and put the windforce back in and my system just BSOD seconds after it gets to desktop so something happened when I added in the new card I am just not sure as to what
Old August 20, 2013, 11:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok hold on something strange just happened.
I pulled an old intel system winth a q6600 on a DFI dark p35 motherboard , dropped the card onto it and fired it with runnindf windopws8x64 the system is stable actually am installed nvidia driver on it right now then I am going to test the card.
if this runs stable what could be causing this card running unstable on my i5 2500 k that is on a asrock z77 exteme3 motherboard? I mean it ran perfectly before on it then flaked out, unless of course my cosiar tx 750 PSU has problem. hmm maybe if I reinstall it on the i5 system then use the pcie cables tha tare currently being used for the card tha tis installed.
COuld this be my problem?
Old August 20, 2013, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

yes check your ribbons and slot connectors, use a safety pin to re-arch contact blades
Old August 20, 2013, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok so I did a 15 min burnin test on the other PC card works so I pulled the card and then I grabbed a gold series OCZ 850 PSU and inserted the card into the second pcie slot ( for SLI) and then used the pcie from my second PSU jumped it and ran my system ( I was to lazy to totally pull the original PSU so Iused both) and the system, did the same thing.
I am starting to think tha tmaybe the second pcie slot on this motherboard is toast is there a setting ofr something in the bios that needs to be turned on, I have it set to auto but I am not sure anymore.
Old August 20, 2013, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OK I think I just figured out what is going on, I had VitruMV installed but before I added in the other card I turned it off but my system was unstable I couldnt even get into the motherboard bios settings for more then 30 seconds so I uninstalled the VitruMV and rebooted ( with out the sli bridge) and my sytem is stable.
not I am going to shut down and add in t he bridge but I am not sure which way it goes on doe it matter becasue it fits both ways?
Old August 20, 2013, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

off topic again, but going back to what you said about the Windforce cooler being poorly machined, I know what you mean. I was looking at a friend's Windforce 6850 earlier this year, and took apart the heatsink to find this: Disgusting.

KaptCrunch, the picture you posted is from a 1st gen ASUS directCU cooler...which actually wasn't a bad (if a little small) cooler. I had one on my 5830.
Attached Images

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 20, 2013, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

really are all of the windforce coolers the same to me that horrible I wonder that the temps would be like if I were to sand it down as smooth as possible
Old August 20, 2013, 02:43 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

It's possible that PCI-E slots can have trouble as well. I'm running my vid card in the 2nd slot because I kept having issues in the first one, random reboots and crashes, I believe the weight of the card caused contact issues with the slot & vid card.