Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2013, 04:06 PM
Rookie

Unhappy USB malfunction?

Alright well i had a custom PC built from NCIX about a year and a bit ago, and recently something's been wrong with the usbs in the back. Basically, if i plug in one item or two, its fine, if i move the usb plugs a little bit they start turning off and on the devices plugged in. if i plug more than 3 in a lot of times they just stop working at all, and or only some of them randomly work. other times lets say i have my Blackwidow and my Mamba plugged into the back, and i plug my g13 gamepad in as well. Everything works as normal untill i run my g13 driver software that allows me to edit my macros and whatnot. When i do that every device that is plugged into the back (usb wise) flickers off and on and is render unusable untill a system restart. Note tht i also have 2 USB 3.0 ports in the back which don't work what so ever. The 2 usbs i have in the front work fine at all times, however.

so some specs. I have the Asus P8Z 68-V LX motherboard
8 GB kingston RAM
2 HDDs (could maybe somehow contribute considering the SATA plugs are right next to where the usb connecters are)
An AMD Radeon 6870 1GB
I have two displays connected to said graphics card (So there are many inputs/outputs to my computer)
Also, i have a Coolermaster Half 912 case (incase it might be my I/O shield)

Oh and i have tried plugging the usb connectors to another slot in my motherboard, it fixed the problem for a full day and it simply started doing the same thing the next day.

EDIT: in Addition, my G13 Gamepad display sometimes turns blank and/or distorts or turns upsidedown in the middle of the game. the pad itself works, all the macros are there, but the display is completely disfunctional. The pad itself is almost brand new, and it turns normal after taking it out and plugging it back in. (Related because it happens when plugged in the back, but also the front sometimes and it works perfectly on other computers)
Old August 13, 2013, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried without the software? Razer's Synapse and Logitech's LGS can both be incredibly buggy.

Have you installed the drivers for your USB 3.0 ports? Z68 boards used 3rd party chipsets last I checked.

Otherwise I'd try to check your PSU's 5V rail. Preferably with a multimeter, but a software method might give you an idea.
Old August 14, 2013, 02:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

sounds if usb socket is ioose or I/O plate shortting power
Old August 14, 2013, 06:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
sounds if usb socket is ioose or I/O plate shortting power
Check that there are no tabs from the IO shield that could perhaps be wedged into the usb ports on the back. So easy to do.
Old August 25, 2013, 08:22 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hi, Idk about the G13, but if I try to run my logitech software for my g15 it conflicts with EVGA precision, afterburner and sometimes FRAPS and rarely would boot up to the proper LCD screen in Win7. The G5 mouse I have causes all of the USB both 2.0/3.0 to become unstable on my ASUS MIVE motherboard, it works on my gigabyte AMD just fine though, my old mouse I use doesn't conflict at all and it is an old logitech from 2000, so no software. There were a fair number of people having this problem but I thought it was just the P67 board that was incompatible.

You might have a different problem though it sounds similar.

Good luck
Fungi
I am lost I can't even remember my name.

Old September 23, 2013, 11:10 PM
Rookie

try to double check the wire connection on it.. make sure it is place in the right pin...
Old September 25, 2013, 05:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

USB Driver - General Fix for Problems - Windows 7 Help Forums

This is what you need to do.

Tags
computer , motherboard , shorted , usb