Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   PC starts to lag and spike after a while, can't tell what's causing this... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/62442-pc-starts-lag-spike-after-while-cant-tell-whats-causing.html)

Mycelus August 1, 2013 02:54 AM

PC starts to lag and spike after a while, can't tell what's causing this...

Hey guys. So as the title says, after a while, my PC just becomes slow. Programs open slowly. The reaction times of actions just drop dramatically. I get a bunch of distorted sound, the worse the distorted sound is when viewing a media file, the worse the glitching is.

I'm assuming it's some sort of CPU problem.

How would I be able to diagnose and troubleshoot this? I find it hard to believe it's my CPU, it's an i5-2500K at stock clocks, no OC what so ever.

I have reformatted and that did not fix the issue.

The PC is fine, but after leaving it on overnight, it seems I always come back to a PC that is just slow.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post in advance.

Varroa August 1, 2013 05:54 AM

Overheating? What are you system temps like?

onin August 1, 2013 06:55 AM

What did you install after the "reformat" ?

Squeetard August 1, 2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mycelus (Post 722600)
The PC is fine, but after leaving it on overnight, it seems I always come back to a PC that is just slow.

Don't leave it on overnight. I'm betting that some component does not wake properly from hibernation.

Mycelus August 1, 2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varroa (Post 722609)
Overheating? What are you system temps like?

Normal. 35-50, Corsair H60 1st gen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onin (Post 722615)
What did you install after the "reformat" ?

Nothing new, same programs as always, no fishy software, all well known applications.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeetard (Post 722625)
Don't leave it on overnight. I'm betting that some component does not wake
properly from hibernation.

No sleep or hibernation. It's running the whole time.

Arinoth August 1, 2013 12:48 PM

What's the hard drive and how old is it, the hard drive may not like being left idling all night for whatever reason.

Mycelus August 1, 2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 722665)
What's the hard drive and how old is it, the hard drive may not like being left idling all night for whatever reason.

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. No other drives. I believe reaching 2.5 - 3 yrs old now.

Is there a tool I can use to troubleshoot my drive to see if it's not performing properly?

It's either the CPU or HDD, because when I view a media file such as a TV show during the lag, I get awful sound distortion, you can tell it is glitching, spiking severely, but temps look fine so it's definitely not a heat issue.

enaberif August 1, 2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mycelus (Post 722666)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. No other drives. I believe reaching 2.5 - 3 yrs old now.

Is there a tool I can use to troubleshoot my drive to see if it's not performing properly?

It's either the CPU or HDD, because when I view a media file such as a TV show during the lag, I get awful sound distortion, you can tell it is glitching, spiking severely, but temps look fine so it's definitely not a heat issue.

1) Try different a differ power plug
2) Try a different sata port
3) Try a different sata cable

Mycelus August 1, 2013 07:09 PM

Ok, I will try those, but I still haven't gotten an answer as to whether I can use a program to test my parts or not.

vohiep84 August 1, 2013 08:52 PM

Try LatencyMon ... it will monitor and show you what drivers and possibly components that are causing you to lag.