Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2013, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirik View Post
Too much paste isn't as bad as too little paste. See this post. Obviously this is an extreme just to see the result. But when you have too little paste you leave parts of the surface uncovered. Since there is essentially no contact between the die and heatsink it's almost as if those areas are insulated. I do agree with letting the heatsink pressure spread the paste around though. Right now the failed heatsink is likely causing more problems than the amount of paste.

Looks like you can get an aftermarket cooler in case MSI can't or won't help you out.
Actually too much paste IS a bad thing.

The paste is there to fill the small voids between the two surfaces to allow for proper heatsink to cpu/gpu cooling.

Too little and it will cook. Too much and it can't dissipate heat properly.
Old July 31, 2013, 05:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I honestly don't think it's too much paste, it was a very thin layer I spread out with a card. It probably spread a little, so [surface area paste on heatsink]>[surface area GPU]. This however was already the case with the original paste. There was nothing wrong with the original paste, since the card had normal temps when it was new.

Tags
80 degrees , haf x , high temps , msi , n580gtx lightning