Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2013, 04:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default No POST after reboot

Hey HC crew,

A week ago I rebooted my 6 year old computer after installing some Windows updates. After reboot, the system failed to POST. More accurately, the system turns on, sounds like the spinning disks initialize, and it stays on; all without any signal to the monitor.

I had time to work on troubleshooting today and have done the following:
  1. Swapped out the video card with the known good one from my family PC.
  2. Moved the video card to a different PCI-E slot.
  3. Pulled all the RAM and tested each stick one-at-a-time in each of the 4 RAM slots
  4. Unplugged all but the System SSD drive
  5. Pulled the CPU cooler, cleaned, reseated, and applied fresh MX-2 before reattaching the CPU cooler.

While writing this I've come up with the idea to see if it registers on the network; ping it from my other PC. Any other suggestions of what I could test? BTW: no system speaker, so no beeps possible.

Barring a positive outcome from the next test or suggestions, my best guess is that my CPU or some critical aspect of my Mobo is pooched.

I'm not going to replace it, so if I can't get it started, I'll be doing some data recovery using my other PC and a HDD case.

Thanks,
Nusheen
Old July 28, 2013, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try replacing Motherboard Battery . ??
5-10 bucks worth a shot.
Old July 28, 2013, 05:34 PM
Rookie

I have never seen a dead battery cause a board not to POST...
It sounds like you have done most of the things I would do in your situation.
Do you have some little crappy speaker from some other case or system you could attach to the board (if it has speaker out) those beep codes if any would be invaluable
I have noticed that most boards will cause the keybaord num lock/caps lock/ scroll lock lights to flash during post. Do you remember this happening before and if so does it happen now. If it does it is getting pretty far along, if not not so good.
Some boards have a way to clear the bios settings and/or recover the bios from a backup bios, check options for your board (pulling your battery overnight should be good enough to clear bios settings if you can't find any other info)
Check the board for any bad caps ( capacitors which are bulging are either failing or have failed)
If it really is failing to post I would bet it is the board (as cpu's rarely fail on startup in my experience but usually when doing burn ins or when over volted and/or overclocked and/or over heated which are not happening during post)
Good luck
Old July 28, 2013, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

any beep codes? you meed a speaker to hook up so that you can get your beep codes. another thing is pull everything off of the Motherboard ram everything then stick one ram stick in a hard drive or even a cd drive to boot into a live linux or other OS . but to me sounds motherboard or cpu problem
Old July 28, 2013, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

try the moniter on a good system ? Asus P5Q-E known for leaky caps
Old July 28, 2013, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
try the moniter on a good system ? Asus P5Q-E known for leaky caps
ooops forgot to mention that also
Old July 29, 2013, 12:25 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

The monitor is good, I've got a laptop going to it using VGA, and am doing my troubleshooting using the VGA port on another monitor that the laptop is usually plugged into. Sorry for failing to mention this earlier.

I got pulled away and haven't yet tried checking whether the system is registering on the network.
Will do that first.
Next I'll line up NorthernPal's suggestion of checking for lights on the keyboard using my non-wireless spare.
Failing that, I'll nab the speaker from the family PC to check for any error indicators, checking the Caps in the process. I recall an old Umax laptop with the same problem (am I aging myself here?).

I don't think I'll sink bucks into the battery, though I recall the days when a dead battery would cause me all kinds of grief.

Thanks again each of you. I'll update the thread with my progress over the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Nusheen
Old September 23, 2013, 11:18 PM
Rookie

try to boot only motherboard and powersupply .no harddisk , ram, and memory. see it will display post if not your motherboard is dead.
Old September 24, 2013, 12:28 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Red face

I would back the clear CMOS suggestion from northernpal :)
As about Asus P5Q line and caps, IIRC they used some unknown China or Taiwan brand polymer caps like "Elite", witch would bear no sign that they are failed - unless they go explode like this: http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7...mer270uvi0.jpg
http://s13.postimage.org/4epwb08lz/A...e_polymers.jpg
http://s8.postimage.org/3mlhgy2md/As...polymers_2.jpg
http://s9.postimage.org/4hy9f1yin/As...su_polymer.jpg
http://s12.postimage.org/6perhnkt9/A..._polymer_2.jpg
...or take Eldonko experience with it:http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/3859/img5637tg7.jpg

So all in all, if the mobo does not post after bios clearing and new (or borrowed from another PC) battery, then it is probably dead and you can donate it to the Soulessone21 project there: The MOBO Art Project

I did not write this to stress you out, but I trying to be as honest, as I can when comes to what informations I gather about those mainboards. Good luck with yours and I wish I was wrong and the mobo will start again and act like this was some sort of fluke

Tags
boot , fail , post