Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2013, 08:31 AM
Allstar

Default Startup problem!

Been a long time i've been here! Hope you guys are still as nice and helpful as I remember!

Here's the situation. My friend told me his computer would boot but not start. I brought it home and tried many things, but now i am stuck. THe mobo is an Asus P5k (more details later if needed, i'm not home now) and he uses windows 7.

-If we start it up normally, tons of data appear after booting, ending up on a command prompt.
-I ran his HDD on my computer, the drive and its data seemed all right. Virus scan showed nothing.
-I tried booting W7 with the dvd drive, it said there was no proper booting device, i found this weird, i changed his IDE dvd drive for a Sata dvd drive, and now the W7 booted! (the IDE device is supposed to be functionnal, however...)
-When booting the W7 drive, it says there kernel.dll is missing and cannot start up. I was expecting a kind of welcome screen, where i could format the partition where W7 was installed and just reinstall it, but I just cannot get to that part.
-I formatted his OS partition on my computer, and still the same problems. Even with no hard drive hooked up to his computer, it still says it cannot start windows properly.
-I removed the battery from the bios, and still the same problems.

I pretty much have no ideas. I have a kind of feel the problem might be the mobo. Can you guys give me any hints? If you want more information or and more explicit details, feel free to ask i'll check it out at home ASAP.

Thank you and have a good summer!

Old July 17, 2013, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

what is the first boot device in the Bios? I would also unplug the power cord to the PSU then press the power start button to discharge any left over electricity after that pop out the bios battery this will reset the bios pop the battery back in and fire it back up go back into the bios and setup your boot device order also make sure that your hard drive and dvd or cd device is seen in the bios.
Old July 17, 2013, 11:36 AM
Allstar

First boot device? Well it has been many. I've tried many things. I tried only HDD, only the DVD drive, one then another, etc. I tried switching the sata ports too. I resetted the bios correctly. Everything is seen correctly on the bios, and the W7 disc is even started after booting, but it just won't go for a windows installation or repair, only in a screen that will do a scan and mention that there might be a hardware problem and i should contact the manufacturer bla bla bla

Old July 17, 2013, 12:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Is it a standard/OEM win 7 disk? It's not a manufacturer's OEM disk that's polling for specific hardware is it? Have you tried with a different install disk?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 17, 2013, 03:14 PM
Allstar

I have tried with different OS disk and it isn't an OEM disk. The computer was built with parts from NCIX and they even assembled it

Old July 17, 2013, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Asus P5k Are known for leaky CAPS

Check MB
Old August 3, 2013, 06:45 PM
Allstar

Well, took me a while to answer (vacations!) and thanks for the feedback.

Still, nothing is working. I tried booting (with or without installation on a different HDD) and it keeps restarting when i try to run it (as soon as i select run ubuntu, it reboots).

Also, the mobo is an Asus p5q pro, my mistake.

I have no idea what to do, and can't really try another motherboard to see if that is the problem, but i have a feeling the problem might be related to the motherboard. Or could it be defective ram? O.o

Old August 4, 2013, 07:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Well, took me a while to answer (vacations!) and thanks for the feedback.

Still, nothing is working. I tried booting (with or without installation on a different HDD) and it keeps restarting when i try to run it (as soon as i select run ubuntu, it reboots).

Also, the mobo is an Asus p5q pro, my mistake.

I have no idea what to do, and can't really try another motherboard to see if that is the problem, but i have a feeling the problem might be related to the motherboard. Or could it be defective ram? O.o

can take a pic of lower right of MB also may be CPU heat sensor