Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   PC Freezes as if paused with loud distortion noise (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/62084-pc-freezes-if-paused-loud-distortion-noise.html)

simsin July 9, 2013 07:37 PM

PC Freezes as if paused with loud distortion noise

As the title states my has been freezing on me intermittently in the last 2 months.

I usually play SC2 when this happens, but it doesn't seem to be limited to videogame play. Also happens while just browsing the net/other tasks.

The weird part is the screen freezes sound is replaced with a loud sort of electronic distortion.
When this occurs I cannot access TASK Manager, the mouse and the keyboard still have lights on them.

The screen is still on with the same image on which it froze... as if I paused a DVD O was watching + the annoying noise.

This has been happening sporadically in the last 1-2 months.

I reboot the PC and everything is back to normal. Games work right away with no issues and no freezing.

System Specs
Motherboard: Asus p8z68-v PRO
Processor: 2500k OCed to 4.5ghz on AIR since first week.
Memory: 16gb (4x4) G.SkillRipjaws X
Video Card(s): Asus Reference 6950 2gb
Hard Drive(s): Patriot Pyro 60gb SSD / Hitachi deskstar 7300k 2tb
Optical Drive(s): Sony DVD
Case: CM 690 Advanced II
Power Supply: corsair tx750m
Sound Card: N/A
Monitor: u2311
Operating System: Win 7 Ultimate

Thanks for your help Guys! :D

sswilson July 9, 2013 07:41 PM

Did you try reseating your cards / mem sticks? Sometimes they'll work themselves loose to the point where they're not making proper contact and then heat can cause them to momentarily disconnect from the slot.

LHN91 July 9, 2013 07:46 PM

Was thinking the same thing. Now, you don't have a separate sound card, but definitely check your memory sticks, pull, clean, and reseat. May also not hurt to redo your sound and video drivers.

simsin July 10, 2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 719312)
Did you try reseating your cards / mem sticks? Sometimes they'll work themselves loose to the point where they're not making proper contact and then heat can cause them to momentarily disconnect from the slot.

OK i'll check the 4 memory sticks and the videocard connections. I will remove and reseat them, when you guys say wipe them. What should be used? paper towel?

as for the drivers updated video drivers like 2 weeks ago. so Should be good.

My GPU is the reference version which is unlocked to 6970 from day 1. Im wondering if I should flip the bios switch and run it on the stock 6950 setup.

clshades July 10, 2013 12:53 PM

if you are running more than one hard drive in your system try unplugging all of them except your main drive. I've experienced this issue with the same symptoms in the past due to a failing storage drive.

open and close my computer a few times... if it shows the drives extremely slow you've found your problem.

KaptCrunch July 10, 2013 12:59 PM

back down your overclock for cpu is stressed out or cpu fan cooling issues , clogged fins

KaptCrunch July 10, 2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsin (Post 719395)
OK i'll check the 4 memory sticks and the videocard connections. I will remove and reseat them, when you guys say wipe them. What should be used? paper towel?

as for the drivers updated video drivers like 2 weeks ago. so Should be good.

My GPU is the reference version which is unlocked to 6970 from day 1. Im wondering if I should flip the bios switch and run it on the stock 6950 setup.

use a clean pencil eraser to clean ram

simsin July 10, 2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaptCrunch (Post 719402)
use a clean pencil eraser to clean ram

hehe, not sure if serious? (insert meme)

:D

sswilson July 10, 2013 06:54 PM

Nope... he's serious. It was actually the preferred cleaning method in a torpedo maintenance tech order to clean the contacts on the pull-away connector between the AC and Torp. :)

Squeetard July 11, 2013 08:16 AM

Don't use paper towel, the lint will make it worse.