Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2013, 08:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Turns out i had a couple bad sata power cables (hehe, whoops)
I can now get into the bios with any of my drives connected, but the mobo won't detect any of my drives except the ONE drive (out of three) that i never installe any OS on. So it only detects the barracuda 3tb which doesn't have an os on it, and the other two drives remain undetected. (The SSD and an old laptop drive)
What to do now? It seems i'm This (--) close to getting into my OS, but something is obviously not working.
Nothing i do in the CSM seems to effect the outcome.
Old June 29, 2013, 09:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hey guys, can any of you tell me how to measure a hard drive / SSD with a multimeter? I'm assuming there is a way to see if the drive is fried.
Old June 29, 2013, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No I don't think that you can check those types of PC hardware with a Multimeter PSU yes hard drive no you need to use software for that SSD they just go with out any warning signs that I know of hard drives usually either get slower or start to get noisey and if you have the SSD or Hard drive connected but cannot see them in the Diskmanagement ( under administrative tools) then more then likely they are gone . the only slight channce you can do if the harddrive or ssd isn't showing up in there is changing cables and connect a different PSU power connector to the SSD or hard drive
Old June 29, 2013, 12:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm just trying to get a hold of a copy of Win7 (in more or less legitimate ways) because i never backed it up...
It seems i'll have to get a hold of a brand new SSD, and after that i should hopefully be good to go (Y)
Lots of money being spent here trying to get this machine operative again, but i guess that's part of it. Some of us have bad luck i suppose.
I'm really hoping some of the components are covered by warranty unlike my P67 (which i now have possession of again)
Old July 4, 2013, 12:52 PM
Rookie

I have a very similar issue happening with my computer at the moment. I recently purchased a new PSU, one that was well reviewed by Corsair with enough wattage for my system.
We had a couple of power outages in our area over the last couple of weeks, the other day the computer crashed after being on for a minute, and has not been on in any meaningful way since. Now, it has been plugged into a surge protector of sorts, it certainly is not a high end one.

When I opened the case on my computer and attempted to turn it on again I noticed that the fan on the CPU would begin to spin for a second as if it was initiating bootup, but then it would stop and the computer would never turn on. Next I unplugged the GPU and tried again, same result. Then I unplugged the HDD and SSD as well as the GPU and tried again. This time it came on and booted, but crashed soon after.

I am about 95% sure it is a PSU issue. I am guessing the power outages caused a surge and affected my PSU. I have already RMA'd a replacement and will have it soon. Do you guys think the PSU is the issue, or that there could be more than that? I am pretty annoyed that this will be my third PSU in the last 3 months. Definitely making me consider selling the computer altogether!
Old July 4, 2013, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenskipper View Post
I'm just trying to get a hold of a copy of Win7 (in more or less legitimate ways) because i never backed it up...
It seems i'll have to get a hold of a brand new SSD, and after that i should hopefully be good to go (Y)
Lots of money being spent here trying to get this machine operative again, but i guess that's part of it. Some of us have bad luck i suppose.
I'm really hoping some of the components are covered by warranty unlike my P67 (which i now have possession of again)
I think that you can "legally" download windows 7 you just need to purchase the license after the trial period is over
Old July 4, 2013, 07:02 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Two words "digital river". 100% legit copies direct from MS. Google it. Use a legit Retail key (none is included these are 100% legit digital copies) - not OEM...you will have to modify if you got a OEM key...and bamf you got it. Its what I do when SP's come out and Im too lazy to slipstream. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 5, 2013, 02:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderrick14 View Post
I have a very similar issue happening with my computer at the moment. I recently purchased a new PSU, one that was well reviewed by Corsair with enough wattage for my system.
We had a couple of power outages in our area over the last couple of weeks, the other day the computer crashed after being on for a minute, and has not been on in any meaningful way since. Now, it has been plugged into a surge protector of sorts, it certainly is not a high end one.

When I opened the case on my computer and attempted to turn it on again I noticed that the fan on the CPU would begin to spin for a second as if it was initiating bootup, but then it would stop and the computer would never turn on. Next I unplugged the GPU and tried again, same result. Then I unplugged the HDD and SSD as well as the GPU and tried again. This time it came on and booted, but crashed soon after.

I am about 95% sure it is a PSU issue. I am guessing the power outages caused a surge and affected my PSU. I have already RMA'd a replacement and will have it soon. Do you guys think the PSU is the issue, or that there could be more than that? I am pretty annoyed that this will be my third PSU in the last 3 months. Definitely making me consider selling the computer altogether!
have you tried a start up repair by booting with windows install disk

sounds corrupt data, from power dropping out and not writting to disk
Old July 5, 2013, 12:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
have you tried a start up repair by booting with windows install disk

sounds corrupt data, from power dropping out and not writting to disk
I am installing the new PSU today, if that does not work I will definitely do that. I was able to get the system up and running on the old PSU for a little bit, about 30 minutes before it crashed and refused to reboot. I don't know if that changes your thoughts/conclusions at all.

Tags
asus , boot , motherboars , sabertooth