Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2013, 09:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Constant boot cycle:( NEED HELP. P55M-UD2 I3 540

I just put together this small set up for Diablo 3 only.

I3 540
P55M-Ud2
2x4 gig AMD ram
MSI gtx 560TI Hawk
OCZ Vertx 3 120

I installed windows just fine. I also installed most of programs and did all driver updates from the gigabyte site.

I then started installing windows, once I think after 28th or 29th update was completed, my screen forze completely. I tried to do a boot from the reset buttong and then the power button and no respond. I then just simply unplugged the power cable. And then it;s been in a boot cycle, power comes on, fans run for less than 1 seconds and then it boots up again. There is no video or anything, I tried another card GTX 550TI.

I then cleared cmos after power cycling the pc. The reboots stopped, but I wasnt getting any video and notices that all fans were running except the cpu fan. I turned off the system and turned it on again and the constant boot cycle came back.

I then power cycled again, took everything out, and did hard cmos clear by removing the battery. I also took out ram, video and everything else, just the cpu and the cpu fan and tried again. But again i was getting constant reboots.

Does this mean, the mobo is dead or the cpu is dead? I bought them both today used.

Let me know if you have heard of this or have any suggestions etc???

Thank you

Last edited by Your_friendly_gamer; June 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old June 23, 2013, 10:34 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Try with one stick of memory. Are there any beep codes? If so, let us know what they are.
Old June 23, 2013, 10:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

There is nothing, no beep codes. I even tried and took everything out and just used the power connectors to the motherboard, without ram and anything plugged in, except the cpu of course and nothing changes. All of the motherboards led's come on and then off again. They only come on for a second max. And there are no beeps.

I did start using coolermaste thermal paste that comes with hyper 212, is that electric conductive?

If the motherboard has been shorted because of the thermal paste, then is it supposed to still power up? I did a shitty job with the thermal paste, as it's rahter thin and I am used to only using ic diamond 24.
Old June 24, 2013, 12:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With most modern motherboards/PSU's if something important fried due to a short, your system shouldn't even power up. I wouldn't be worrying about thermal paste.

As much as I love Gigabyte boards there are just too many boot loop problems that crop up with your average DIY system builder.

Assuming there's nothing wrong with your system you have to let the board run through its boot loop (which could take a good 10 min) and the problem will go away. The problem is the board detected a crash/error and is constantly changing settings and rebooting in an attempt to fix itself.
Old June 24, 2013, 05:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

P55M-Ud2 has 2 versions of MB find witch REV an up date bios

other is bad PSU or MB cap
Old June 24, 2013, 05:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Damnit, you got the worst luck these days.

I still have a P7P55D-E LX here if you want to test the CPU or setup another board, very cheap.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Power issue maybe? Last time I had an issue like that I had to remove the pretty 24 pin cable extension I had and use the PSU cable only. Something was not making proper contact in the extension.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Power issue maybe? Last time I had an issue like that I had to remove the pretty 24 pin cable extension I had and use the PSU cable only. Something was not making proper contact in the extension.
Thats what I had figured but I tried the same PSU on my other set up I5 3570K with p8Z77-V Lx board and they all check out. I think the mobo is done to be honest. Well maybe not, I will go and check those again.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
Damnit, you got the worst luck these days.

I still have a P7P55D-E LX here if you want to test the CPU or setup another board, very cheap.
Yea if I could just test it, that would be great, I would appreciate that. I think the cpu is fine. as I also tried powering just the board with no cpu or anything and same shit.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I ran in to this EXACT issue on a Gigabyte board recently. The more I dug in to the issue, the more and more counts I found online of other Gigabyte owners running in to the same issue. I ended up RMA'ing and the replacement was fine. But it's certainly prompted me top change teams. Where I used to be a loyal Gigabyte customer, I now focus on MSI.