Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2013, 02:38 PM
Top Prospect

Default Audio Recording Crashes, Help!

Hi all,

I am a musician, but I can not get a build together that won't mess up my recording process.
been through several headache am2+ builds

I have a q9450 with a gigabyte ud3l, kingston 4gb of ram, new WD 500gb black hard drive, several options of firewire cards, and video cards, good psu, TI firewire card...

IT should be great!
It can playback intense audio sessions..

BUT AS SOON AS I HIT RECORD, it sucks!!!!!!!!!! glitches, stutters for a while, then blue screens on me.. within around 10seconds.

It can run games, videos, all sorts of stuff forever..

I keep thinking it might be a firewire problem, and maybe it is, but blue screen?!
Interface is a saffire pro 40, should be awesome!

I monitor cpu usage, 25%

I have replaced almost everything in the computer,

new: ram, psu, video cards, hard drive, firewire cards....

Is it the cpu? Firewire? I have tried different drivers for the firewire...

I am running out of ideas,

Help!

Thanks...
Old June 22, 2013, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have access to a MIDI card or anything of the sort to rule out firewire and/or your onboard soundcard?

Otherwise all you can really do is stress test your CPU/RAM. (memtest, prime95, etc)
Old June 22, 2013, 03:45 PM
Allstar

A quick Googling suggest disable on-board audio via BIOS. BSOD usually point to some kind of hardware problem so I suggest you try doing RAM test first. But if you have long gaming sessions without lock up, it may be the audio hardware conflicting.
Old June 22, 2013, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

what software using ? to rec

may be made for some other OS

then need a cache for program
Old June 22, 2013, 08:03 PM
Top Prospect

So... It is a firewire issue.

How exactly I am still completely baffled about.

I am in windows 7 ultimate 32bit

Onboard Audio is disabled.
Loaded several firewire drivers, followed suggestion, all with the same result, can't record.

I have tried two different firewire cards and cables. Upped my sample and buffer sizes. Same issue.

Once data is being sent from the Saffire Pro 40 through firewire to my computer, everything screws up, it glitches, cuts in and out, and normally blue screens.

I can see on my audio interfaces that when the firewire is sending information to the computer it cuts in and out, but why?

I maybe need to take my unit somewhere else and test the connection on a completely different setup... but I did not use to have these issues on my old computer!
Used one of the same firewire cards too.

I have tested in Reason 6.5, Reaper, and Ableton Live.

It can't record. Input through firewire just cuts in and out!!!!!!!!
Old June 22, 2013, 08:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Was your previous setup (that you didn't have problems with) an XP machine? How recent are the firewire drivers? Maybe win7 doesn't like the drivers.

Only other thing I can think of is to look for a setting in bios that will reset the hardware assignments. It's been a while since I played with a 775 bios, but it seems to me it was something to do with the PCI bus.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 22, 2013, 11:03 PM
Top Prospect

Audio recording software can have a lot of issues on different hardware. Assuming all software and drivers are up to date, try recording with windows power options set to high performance, and consider disabling EIST and C1 states in the BIOS for a trial run. Other than that, good luck.