Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2013, 11:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Question for Xbox 360 Owners

Hey everyone,

Looks like my first Generation 360 has finally called it a day. Purchased opening day when launched I have to admit that I'm not sad that it died. It gave me 7 years of life, so its done its time as a console.

That being said I would like to preserve and enjoy my games still....so does someone know if I bought a new Xbox S console if I can transfer the HDD from the old to the new system? if I can how the heck do I do it? Google is failing to deliver this time around.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 21, 2013, 11:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Could have sworn at some point they had a transfer cable so you could move your information from a working hard drive to a new system but not sure if they still sell it anymore...
Old June 21, 2013, 11:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Can't you find a used "first-gen" 360? I'm sure EB/GameStop must have them, or other smaller gaming stores.
Old June 21, 2013, 12:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yep it still does exist the cable: Xbox 360 Transfer Cable | Transfer to New Console | Xbox Hard Drive Transfer - Xbox.com

How to Transfer Old Xbox 360 HDD Data To A New Xbox 360 Slim | Game Front

OR if you know someone who has an old gen Xbox-360 you could plug into their console and transfer that data to an external hard drive or USB drive and plug that into the new one. Hell I think I even know which box my working 360 Elite is in...
Old June 21, 2013, 12:44 PM
Top Prospect

just a suggestion, consider doing a little self repair. I've repaired a few of my mates and multiples of my own (through the ages) with a hybrid uniclamp. At the very least let SoulTrib Jr have a shot at repairing it (if that's his kicks).

here's the shop where i buy from (dont think their are others) - Xbox-experts.com - Shop - Xboxexperts.com Official Store

Edit: I usually use ocz freeze or other thermal paste besides the one they supply(not that i dont trust it, more so that i just know what im using).

2nd edit: Its also recommended to use the kit prior to red rings to lengthen its life but i have done it post red rings and have had success. This includes a long list of revived boxes lasting 2-8 months and two current revivals that are still going strong (not that i use them often mind you)

3rd edit: The site with the shop also includes many good tutorials and a code error index which gives you a good idea what your problem may be. Along with the best way to fix the issue whether it be a reflow, repair kit or just being badly plugged in.

Last edited by genericllama; June 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old June 21, 2013, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

also can copy over on win98 fat32 if has enough sapce on S HDD
Old June 21, 2013, 01:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericllama View Post
just a suggestion, consider doing a little self repair. I've repaired a few of my mates and multiples of my own (through the ages) with a hybrid uniclamp. At the very least let SoulTrib Jr have a shot at repairing it (if that's his kicks).

here's the shop where i buy from (dont think their are others) - Xbox-experts.com - Shop - Xboxexperts.com Official Store

Edit: I usually use ocz freeze or other thermal paste besides the one they supply(not that i dont trust it, more so that i just know what im using).

2nd edit: Its also recommended to use the kit prior to red rings to lengthen its life but i have done it post red rings and have had success. This includes a long list of revived boxes lasting 2-8 months and two current revivals that are still going strong (not that i use them often mind you)

3rd edit: The site with the shop also includes many good tutorials and a code error index which gives you a good idea what your problem may be. Along with the best way to fix the issue whether it be a reflow, repair kit or just being badly plugged in.
I have a dead 360 with those parts I think. It's all yours ST if you want it. I know I did tear it apart and got it working again for a few months until it died completely.
Old June 21, 2013, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ST, follow this link and find out what error code your 360 is giving you. You may be able to repair your 360 by replacing the x-clamps for $5-$10 in materials. The hybrid method is another possible route to take.

Slight hijack:

JD--or anyone with a broken 360, for that matter--I need three of the underside GPU capacitors from a phat 360. If you're going to salvage your box, do you think you could help me out by snail-mailing three caps? One had come loose, which was causing me to RRoD and then I managed to take another two off when removing the x-clamp. Sorry for the slight jacking; I thought this was an opportune time to ask for these parts.

Old June 21, 2013, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Could have sworn at some point they had a transfer cable so you could move your information from a working hard drive to a new system but not sure if they still sell it anymore...
bestbuy

Old June 21, 2013, 03:22 PM
Allstar

I'm in similar situation and couldn't get my 360 fixed even after giving it to a guy to re-flow it. I was doing some research and came across a HDD case for the 360S so you can just rip out the old HDD and slide it into the new box. I seen a YT video and it seem to work.

Amazon.com: HDE Xbox 360 Hard Drive HD Case Shell Slim HDD Enclosure: Video Games