Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2013, 06:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default P8Z77-V LX booting issue.

Trying to figure this one out, it's really been bugging me.

P8Z77-V LX with a 3570k, stock everything with a CNPS10X cooler.

Symptoms and what I have done so far...

Will boot 100% of the time using onboard video with no issue.
Will boot 100% of the time using an old GTX8800 and the screen connected to it.
Will not boot using a GTX460 or a GTX560. Both have been tested in another working system(the 460 is out of my wifes). When this happens, it is using the onboard video, if I connect the screen back to the onboard connector it's working properly.

Tried to force PCIE on booting in the Bios. I had to reset cmos after to get back into bios.

Fans do turn on(including video cards) when I power up the system.

What I have done so far...

-disconnected everything but my SSD
-reset cmos
-cleaned contacts on the video cards while swapping them.
-swapped ram with another known good set(corsair, gskiil and mushkin)
-triple checked PSU connections, swapped PCIE power connectors.
-used another known working PSU(again out of my wifes computer)

What's left to do tonight...

-remove battery to "reset" everything
-remove and inspect the motherboard from HAF-922 for anything odd, damaged PCIE connector?(bad luck happens) reset everything up on my desk instead of the case.
-I read someone had to boot to windows and install all drivers before putting a videocard in? First time i've heard or seen this.
-Open up a bottle of whisky
Old June 20, 2013, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I remember reading about this issue and I believe the issue was to do with Lucid for graphics switch (I think that is what its called). Unfortunately I don't remember the fix off hand, but hopefully that helps...maybe an option to turn it off?
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old June 20, 2013, 12:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I was the one that sold this set up. I had 2 of these exact set ups. I think as Bond said, check page 2-17 of the manual, by default it should be off. I did use a gtx 660TI for a day and mostly a gtx 465 on the top(the only pcie 16x slot) and didnt have any issues with it.

But it's confusing that you are getting video and you are able to boot with an 8800 and not the others. I do have the exact same board still on hand, and I dont mind testing the one you have on my set up. I will be free on Saturday I would imagine.
Old June 20, 2013, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

what bios version running ? current is 1902

PSU ?
Old June 20, 2013, 05:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

1902bios, tried 3 corsair psu... all known good 600-650 and 750 watts.

I found that i can boot using any videocard when i use the other(x4) pcie slot, also confirning me that everything works but the motherboard, looking into issues with the bios maybe. I'd love to fix this and get it running, it's my nature to fix stuff as much as i can...

Thanks for the suggestions so far :)
Old June 20, 2013, 06:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well I am going to swap it for Skyllz, just so we can see here are the screen shot of the new mobo:
Attached Images

Old June 20, 2013, 07:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just swapped the mobo with Skyllz. There seemed to be a small little pin that sligtly bent, very hard to notice. I took a tooth pick and fixed that bitch up, hooked up everything and its good to go. Unfortunately Skyllz you left your backplate for your cooler:(
Attached Images

Old June 20, 2013, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

good job with lazer eyes, now that's customer service at its best
Old June 20, 2013, 07:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, issue resolved, worked on the first boot here, windows is reinstalling already.

Another reason why i'd rather deal with folks from HWC instead of kijiji. Thanks YFG.
Old June 20, 2013, 07:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
good job with lazer eyes, now that's customer service at its best
lol yea eh.

One time I sold Kruzn4evr a mobo+cpu+ram combo for 450 plus shipping. He said there was an issue with the network port on the mobo, i never tested it as i alway use wireless through a usb key. ANyways, I paid him for shipping for both ways as well, but unfortunately he never left me any good feedback at all. I took a big loss, and then rma'd it and sold the same combo to 10e and he said that was a known thing with those mobos but there was a work around or something, oh well.

I just like to make sure if I sell anything to anyone, they are happy.

I recently bought a cpu cooler off someone here and they first didnt send me the proper fan cables with it, claimed it was brand new when it wasnt. And then I checked, the most crucial part of the assembly was missing. I asked them about it and they simply stopped responding to me, and that really made me mad as I left them a good feedback without checking everything and I am too lazy to have that changed lol.

Anyways, sorry for the trouble Skyllz I may have caused you. Enjoy your new gear