Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2013, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Freshly assembled HTPC - No video

So I've assembled a new gaming/HTPC system built primarily from parts purchased here on the forum. I booted it up, and it gets power, (fans power up and optical drive opens/closes) but I have no video output whatsoever.

Parts:
Bitfenix Prodigy
Corsair TX750M
Foxconn H67S-ITX
8GB Corsair Vengeance
Intel 2500k
Corsair H80i
Samsung 250GB SSD
Sapphire 5770 1GB
LG Blu-Ray

I originally tried getting video from the GPU using both HDMI and DVI, but couldn't get anything. So then I figured it might be a GPU issue, so I pulled the GPU out altogether and tried from the MB directly, but still couldn't get anything. Swapped off my TV to my monitor, and still couldn't get anything. Cleared CMOS (pulled battery) and still can't get anything.

Given that the system powers up on a whole, and doesn't give any posting error beeps, I think it's a sound assumption that the CPU is fine. Also, I know the RAM is fine as it was tested in another system. I suppose it might be possible that there's an issue with the MB, but I would expect that a MB problem would be isolated to either the PCIE slot OR the on-board video, not both.

Any advice would be helpful. Not entirely sure where to go from here.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

You didn't explain how your running any cables. Are you running this into a receiver? Or directly into the tv?
Old June 19, 2013, 09:36 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

memory compatibility error maibe its happend to me before
Old June 19, 2013, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You didn't explain how your running any cables. Are you running this into a receiver? Or directly into the tv?
Originally I tried running it directly to the HDMI input on my TV. (Yes I ensured I had the correct input selected) But then, as I explained above, I moved the PC and tested it directly connected to my monitor using the same cables that my primary PC uses. So the issue definitely resides on the PC side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred1 View Post
memory compatibility error maibe its happend to me before
Memory errors shouldn't kill video though. If nothing else, I would expect a post failure with an error. However, I have taken the time to look up the supported memory for this board, and mine is on the list.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Originally I tried running it directly to the HDMI input on my TV. (Yes I ensured I had the correct input selected) But then, as I explained above, I moved the PC and tested it directly connected to my monitor using the same cables that my primary PC uses. So the issue definitely resides on the PC side.

Memory errors shouldn't kill video though. If nothing else, I would expect a post failure with an error. However, I have taken the time to look up the supported memory for this board, and mine is on the list.
Grab a pc speaker if the board doesn't have one and see if it beeps.

Aside from that general rule of troubleshooting. Pull it all out of the system and try it that way.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oddly, I've noticed something strange when plugging the DVI from the motherboard in to my monitor. I can hear the monitor make a 'clicking' sound as it tries to scan input sources, and it stays pure black with no message or error. When I put the GPU back in and try it there, all I get is a 'no signal' message on screen. Not sure the significance of the difference, but I'm really hoping the MB isn't the issue here. :/
Old June 19, 2013, 10:03 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

im sure that it would show no video/post if it wasnt compatible try just one stick also different dimm slots and if that doesnt change just try another set if theres stilll a problem try to boot with nothing connected to the board also case cables like power/reset and usb
if theres still problem after all that i believe your board is derped only reason to believe this is cause of cpu/gpu still shows no video
Old June 19, 2013, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

all power connections made? or PSU not up to par

CPU no graphics onboard

MB jumpers cmos (2-3) and MFG set to disable (2-3)
Old June 19, 2013, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

CMOS jumpers are set correctly

RAM IS compatible and has been tested

CPU is a 2500k and has been confirmed to support onboard graphics with this MB

PSU is a 750w, so certainly capable of running the hardware. And all power is seated correctly.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:56 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

try a different PSU sometimes faulty or dying psus power half or a quarter of the power last thing you can do is take everything out and try it like that case could be shorting something somewhere