Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2013, 09:36 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Default I guess my Craptop is FUBAR - Toast again

My craptop started doing this the other day. The video corruption is in BIOS as well as Windows and it pretty frequently BSOD's as well (Nvidia driver failure, IRQ_not_less than equal).

It's has an Nvidia 440GO for video so I'm guessing the video is a separate module as it's an Intel processor from the dawn of time long before Nvidia made chipsets for Intel.

It's a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a 2GHz P4M. It was pretty high end when it was originally bought. Anybody know of anything I can check? I'm a total dunce when it comes to laptop architecture. It is an old piece of crap now but it does have a XVGA screen at 1600x1200 so it was good for watching movies on at least. It doesn't seem to be overheating or anything.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dr_BenD_over; July 2, 2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old June 11, 2013, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am by no means an expert at laptops but the first thing I would do is try an external LCD or monitor of some kind and plug that into your laptop if that works normally then you might need to replace the ( forget the dam name of it) I think it an inverter it is located that is just under the main screen Laptop Power Inverter for Dell this is justs a link to what I am talking about that "could be the problem which is why you need to plug in a separate monitor because this by pass's the peiece. now if it isnt that then it most likely is the video card on your main board which sometimes can be replaced but can be a pain in the arse to do
Old June 11, 2013, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If the video is dead(dieing) and you want to keep it for watching your movies you might be able to find one on ebay or something and swap out the boards.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 11, 2013, 12:19 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I just had it working in safe mode for about 10min, I rebooted normally and it was still fine for several minutes, then I went to lift it up and it went all squirrley and crashed again. Something probably either loose or there is an intermittent bad connection. Guess I'll have to completely tear it apart and track down the issue.
Old June 11, 2013, 02:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Most likely due to many years of heating up and cooling off the solder on the GPU is cracking. At least that's what it sounds like to me.
HTPC: Pentium G3420, MSI H81i, 4GB G-Skill DDR3 1333, GeForce 650, 400GB Recertified Seagate, 1TB WD Caviar Green, 750GB WD Caviar Blue 2.5", Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced, Windows 7 x64, 32" Seiki LCD TV, Panasonic SA-HE75 5.1 Reciever
9x Gamer: eMachines eOne - 433 Mhz Celeron, 64 MB RAM, 8MB ATI Rage XL, 6GB HDD, Windows 98se
9x Gamer #2: 500 Mhz Pentium III, 512MB Ram, nVidia Geforce 5600, 20GB HDD, Windows ME
Old June 11, 2013, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
I just had it working in safe mode for about 10min, I rebooted normally and it was still fine for several minutes, then I went to lift it up and it went all squirrley and crashed again. Something probably either loose or there is an intermittent bad connection. Guess I'll have to completely tear it apart and track down the issue.
RIBBON CONNECTOR @ HINDGE
Old June 11, 2013, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Did you try it conncted to a TV or other monitor? That would atleast let you know if its hardware, or a screen connection/screen issue.
Old June 11, 2013, 03:11 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I did try it hooked up to an old CRT, had the same lines. It seems to be somewhere in the main part, just forward of the keyboard. I couldn't see anything when I popped the keyboard off and took out the hdd, so I've got to dismantle it fully tomorrow when I have some more time. I'm thinking worse case scenario it might have a damaged trace from flexing over the years, or just some hidden connector has come loose from tossing it on the chair all the time. If it's a bad trace, I hope it's not on and internal layer.
Old June 11, 2013, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Bake it?

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 11, 2013, 06:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

so old...

could bake it or just use a heat gun and heat up the mobo