Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2013, 12:14 PM
Allstar

Question Odd UPS behaviour

One of my UPS started acting up yesterday.

I got up in the morning and it was beeping as it does when it goes over to battery power. However the mains power was not off and everything else was working fine. All attached equipment was powered and functioning normally.

I disconnected the UPS from the mains with the expected result - it's behaviour remained unchanged. I then shut everything down and turned off the UPS. WHen I turned it abck on, the Green power light lit and everythign was powered up, no battery alarms at all - except the UPS was still disconencted from mains power!

Any ideas? I'm stumped. It's an APC XS-1000. Waiting to hear from APC.
Old June 7, 2013, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

can be an overheated unit or was in a brown out condition where ups make the correction of 120v = beep beep

also what were the lights doing?
Old June 7, 2013, 07:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
One of my UPS started acting up yesterday.

I got up in the morning and it was beeping as it does when it goes over to battery power. However the mains power was not off and everything else was working fine. All attached equipment was powered and functioning normally.

I disconnected the UPS from the mains with the expected result - it's behaviour remained unchanged. I then shut everything down and turned off the UPS. WHen I turned it abck on, the Green power light lit and everythign was powered up, no battery alarms at all - except the UPS was still disconencted from mains power!

Any ideas? I'm stumped. It's an APC XS-1000. Waiting to hear from APC.
You sure it wasn't doing its regular self test and you just caught it doing that for a change?
I know the first time on my BR1500's it confused me when they did it.
Just load up powerchute and do a self test to see if you get the same behaviour.

My thoughts,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 8, 2013, 01:33 PM
Allstar

No, Not a self test, Everything else was fine, lights were fine no dimming or flickering or any peceptual abnormality. Odd thing is that is thought it was plugged into mains even when it wasn't. Very strange. I haven't had a chance to play more with it yet.

I wonder if the batteries are going and that's making it misbehave (though I've never seen one behave this way before.)
Old June 8, 2013, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
No, Not a self test, Everything else was fine, lights were fine no dimming or flickering or any peceptual abnormality. Odd thing is that is thought it was plugged into mains even when it wasn't. Very strange. I haven't had a chance to play more with it yet.

I wonder if the batteries are going and that's making it misbehave (though I've never seen one behave this way before.)
Again when you hear that sound ......means the UPS is doing line regulation while all lights are normal

if were battery issues, you have a image of bat with X on it