Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2013, 10:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default RIVE - Only 12GB with 16GB installed ?

Hi guys
Got the ne Rig put together today and it Posted pefect, everything going great. Then I notice in the BIOS its only showing 12GB of RAM when I have a 4 x 4GB Kit installed....huh

So, the troubleshooting started, first thought I would test one Stick in each Slot, here's what I get:

Yes it 4 x 4GB Dominator 1866 Kit....I have ensured proper "seating" of RAM, hell if I "seated" it any more firmly and squarely in the Sockets I'd drive it right through the Mobo btw, I was running 3 of these Sticks in Triple Channel in my Classified X58 with zero issues.

OK, so here is what I did:
1. 1 Stick in DIMM Socket D1 - Post fine showing 4GB
2. Moved that same (know its working Stick) to DIMM Socket B1 - Post Fine showing 4GB
3. Moved that same working Stick to DIMM Socket A1 - Post Fine showing 4GB

Now:
4. Moved that same working Stick to DIMM Socket C1 - NO POST DEBUG Code 53 (Memory Error)
5. Tried my other 3 Sticks in DIMM Socket C1 - NO POST DEBUG Code 53 - same thing.

As my testing above in previous Post, all was good up to 3 Sticks - Posting with 12GB, as soon as throw another stick in DIMM Socket C1, yes it will Post, but only 12GB, take out the Stick out C1 and STILL 12GB.

Now, I have built a number of Rigs over the past 7 yrs, have never had to troubleshoot Memory to this extent. (lucky I guess), But would folks here concur that I have a faulty DIMM Socket C1?

Now I did tighten the heasink / pump assembly of the 100i down pretty hard, (same as I did on my Classified 759 Board), but what I'm going to do now, is remove the heatsink, inspect the Socket Pins and reinstall Heatsink with a little less pressure.

If that doesnt "cure" the problem, I'm stumped, other than RMA the Board.

Thoughts guys...cheers n thanks for the support.

Old May 8, 2013, 10:59 PM

My System Specs

Double check that you have the right voltage set for the DRAM. But if that doesn't help then I would likely agree that the board has a faulty slot.

But doesn't the board have 8 DIMM slots?

Most of the heatsinks and blocks I've seen are designed to bottom out on LGA2011 mounting, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

sounds to me like a bad dimm slot. it's rare in my experience, but I wouldn't waste too much time on it. just get the board replaced
Old May 8, 2013, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Double check that you have the right voltage set for the DRAM. But if that doesn't help then I would likely agree that the board has a faulty slot.

But doesn't the board have 8 DIMM slots?

Most of the heatsinks and blocks I've seen are designed to bottom out on LGA2011 mounting, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Thanks Lowfat...yeah wasted about 4 hr tonight and I've had it.
Yes did check vDimm and even bumped it up to 1.55v (RAM only running at initial native boot of 13330, that didnt help, neither did setting XMP Profile, always 12GB and C1 Slot will not Boot with a single stick in there...hangs at Debug error code 53 (Memory).

Yes it does have 8 DIMM Slots, but I am under the impression you have to use the Red ones only?? for 4 Sticks, maybe I should try the grey ones, but still dont want a Board with a FUBAR Slot.

I did go as far as to inspect pins (tough with my old eyes and a magnifying glass), but nothing jumped out at me, a little less pressure on the 100i Heatsink, back together, but still same issue.

Even went down to 1 GPU..didnt help.

I think at this point its going back to NCIX (just purchased it last Friday).

I'll keep folks updated.

btw...go desperate and threw in some Dominator 1600 Mhz RAM I had kicking around 4 x 2GB sticks and low and behold....it showed up as 6GB..surprise surprise

EDIT: Just sent in an RMA to NCIX...damn, I was so happy when it posted, installed W7 SP1, but didnt bother with any Drivers or bugger all, as even W7 System reported total RAM of whateve the BIOS stated.
Oh well........

Last edited by rjbarker; May 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I actually have the same problem with my RIVE. Been putting off the RMA until the CC was done. Tried reseating, new ram, yadda yadda. Just gotta determine which slot is dead then off the board goes.
Old May 9, 2013, 08:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I actually have the same problem with my RIVE. Been putting off the RMA until the CC was done. Tried reseating, new ram, yadda yadda. Just gotta determine which slot is dead then off the board goes.
Sorry..."Bob Zone" question....what do you mean CC was done ?

Yes everything worked great until I noticed 12GB under the "Main" menu in BIOS. Then the troubleshooting started....for hrs.
Its odd though as if I go to (in BIOS) Tools / Asus SPD Info.....C1 DIMM Slot shows the stick of Memory there
Obviously the fact that it wont Post with a stick in C1 Slot points to a problem though with that Slot....wait n here from NCIX today.

Old May 9, 2013, 08:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Chimp Challenge.
Ram shows everywhere except in task manager > performance.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  99.0 KB
Old May 9, 2013, 09:00 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Chimp Challenge.

Attachment 19329
Now have you tried increasing the Vdimm? Windows 7/8 will disable a stick of memory if it is considered unstable.
Old May 9, 2013, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Will try, working on it now.
Old May 9, 2013, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Chimp Challenge.

Attachment 19329
Is the RAM recognized in BIOS Main as 16GB or 12GB ? What Windows System? Those are the only 2 I can check as I got so frustrated I didnt bother taking my W7 install further with Drivers, updates etc.

Anyhow, making one last ditch attempt before ripping apart, doubt it will fix the issue, but am updating BIOS to newest, although my BIOS quite new, version 3404, but we'll see what happens with version 3602.

Any idea how long the RMA process takes with NCIX? Do thy cross ship or do I have to wait until they get the Board...test it...then ship replacement? I have nver ad to RMA anything with NCIX, Newegg shipped a GPU immediately while the retrun was in transit on the way back.