Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2013, 06:58 PM
Rookie

Default help! Old VGa new PC

Just built my own PC from parts. Have a P8Z77-V LE PLUS mboard. Ram tests work out, SSD hard drive seems to be working....

Have an old VGA monitor (from the 90's) which I tested on my laptop, there it works fine. Plugged it into the VGA port on the P8Z77-V LE PLUS, screen remains blank. PC lights up as if it is on, but can't activate.

Trying to figure out if it is a setting on the Mboard or a connector that needs to be set up, or if its incompatibility of the monitor and board. Ideally don't want to have to go out and buy a new monitor or a standalone graphics card, just to test if its a monitor problem. Anyone ever hear of an incompatibility between an old CRT monitor and the P8Z77-V LE PLUS?
Old May 8, 2013, 07:00 PM
Rookie

Default if it helps

the vga monitor has 12 pins (3 rows of 4) while both my laptop and the P8Z77-V LE PLUS
have 15 female holes. That said, it worked on the laptop, but the laptop is a t-61, so its already about 6-7 years old.
Old May 8, 2013, 08:08 PM
Allstar

How did you know that the RAM and SSD are working if you got no screen? Are you using the DVI port already?
Old May 9, 2013, 06:02 PM
Rookie

the motherboard has a ram tester, so the test lights flash in the way that the owner manual says they should.
the HDD spins.
there are no error beeps on the startup. The Mboard would have unique beeps depending on certain fails.

I'm considering trying to find an alternative screen that can be dvi compliant to see if it will work, but that's a bit of a pain (means have to buy, test, and return).

I tried connecting an LCD tv via hdmi cable, no detection either. Tried the back i/o USBs, they worked, but the back i/o RJ45 doesn't light up either (tried a few RJ45 cables have here. They light up on router side as detecting, but not on the back i/o panel).
Old May 9, 2013, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmith View Post
the motherboard has a ram tester, so the test lights flash in the way that the owner manual says they should.
the HDD spins.
there are no error beeps on the startup. The Mboard would have unique beeps depending on certain fails.

I'm considering trying to find an alternative screen that can be dvi compliant to see if it will work, but that's a bit of a pain (means have to buy, test, and return).

I tried connecting an LCD tv via hdmi cable, no detection either. Tried the back i/o USBs, they worked, but the back i/o RJ45 doesn't light up either (tried a few RJ45 cables have here. They light up on router side as detecting, but not on the back i/o panel).
mike READ the manual pdf
Attached Images

Old May 9, 2013, 07:48 PM
Allstar

Hmm. Either trying to find a LCD monitor or exchange the board. The VGA port should support CRT monitors.