Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2013, 11:51 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Crossfire problem - Card disappears?

*Original Problem*
Recently I was playing Crysis 3 on max, like one would do with a new gaming rig. And randomly in the middle of a fight, the framerate tanked.
I was worried about this, so I immediately tabbed out and checked temps and such. Everything looked ok, except that crossfire wasn't even an option in Catalyst anymore. Checked device manager, and it only showed 1 video card.
This has never happened before, and I played it again after rebooting and everything was fine... But is there something here I should be worried about?

Everything is stock clocked and the case is new with plenty of airflow, so I don't believe heat is an issue.

Any tips? This is a fairly new rig (month old) so I really don't want there to be anything wrong with it. But if there's something simple I'm missing here that could prevent this, any tips or information would be greatly appreciated.

*UPDATE*
So seems drivers were the issue for this problem in particular... but now they are causing a more annoying problem then anything else..
The card is no longer disappearing... But since then I have come across a new problem which I'm blaming on drivers again... Playing a game, framerates randomly drop and fans slow down. Sounds like things are underclocking themselves to their non-performance state. As soon as I switch windows out of the game and back into it, everything is fine again...

Thoughts??

Last edited by styles234; May 9, 2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Can you make sure that it is always the same card that disconnects? check power connectors? PCIe conexion? try with the card that disconnects only?

For power,the 2 cards will use just 500 watts maximum,+ cpu,100 watts,and other stuff,a bit more watts,does not really matter,should be ok tho...

Try in another heavy load game like BF3 or The hunter and see if it happens again,then try to see if it's the same card that causes problem.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:25 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

to my knowledge, it's only happened once. And it was the second card. As the primary card is the one my monitor is connected to, and I didn't lose video signal.

Also, the drivers are the latest release.

I'll try running it with just one card and see what happens there.
Old May 8, 2013, 01:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

may be the slot died

you can try only one video card in system on second slot to see if failed

Onboard Graphics may cause issues if turned on in bios

what version of bios using ? current is F8J as of 2013/feb/20
Old May 8, 2013, 01:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

F7 is my current bios. The one you mentioned was in beta when I built the system.
Old May 8, 2013, 03:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I had the same issue with my Sapphire cards and it never stopped. I took them back to only be charged $120 restocking fee by customer service. I tried everything from bios update to clean install. They would show up for couple hrs and then the second GPU dissapears. I had to buy a new mobo thinking it was my mobo and it wasn't the issue because it persisted even after that. So all in all I lost a lot of money in the end for buying a mobo, sending one to Gigabyte for RMA (paid for it) and having to be charged $120. Your best bet would be to clean install your system but even then you might not be able to solve the issue. Sorry for your issue.
Old May 8, 2013, 04:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think it's flakey driver issues. Came home today and I was in 640x480 resolution with no way to change it. Catalyst would open hut wouldn't do anything. Un installed and reinstalled the latest stable release. Seems solid enough right now. I'll see if it happens again.
Old May 8, 2013, 05:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Let's hope it works for you for sure. I thought mine would and never did. Keep your fingers crossed. All the best!
Old May 8, 2013, 11:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

According to my calcs, two 7970 can draw 700 watts by themselves. Try and run the rig with just the one card, then the other, and try and determine if either card is defective, and if either slot is defective.

I wouldn't rule out the powersupply. An overclocked i7 is going to draw enough power that combined they might be too much for 850 watts.

As an example, 3 6950 were too much for 850 watts to handle.

Good luck.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:16 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

The card is no longer disappearing... But since then I have come across a new problem which I'm blaming on drivers again... Playing a game, framerates randomly drop and fans slow down. Sounds like things are underclocking themselves to their non-performance state. As soon as I switch windows out of the game and back into it, everything is fine again...

This is becoming a real headache.

Tags
amd , crossfire , problem , second card missing