Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2013, 05:08 PM
Rookie

Default monitor loses connection sporadically

Hi,

I have this really weird problem. I just got my computer shop to build this computer for me. According to him he tested it extensively, however every few days 4-5, my monitor screen loses connection and the screen goes to black but the computer is still running. I am really not sure what could be causing this.

When the monitor/computer is working fun I can run 3d games like crysis 3 and watch blu-ray movies without problem. But when this happens I have to hard reset the computer and the it will reboot with the picture back to normal. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

MY computer is:

Asus p8z77-v-lk motherboard
i7-3770k @ 3.5
7950 graphics card
coolermaster extreme 2 725 psu
HD 1gb not sure who made it
monitor is samsung syncmaster bx2335
kingston hype rx red ram 8gb
Old May 4, 2013, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

disable hibernate and see if it keeps doing it. Sounds like a sleep bug of some kind.

To delete this file, you have to use the command prompt to manually turn off hibernation. If you turn off hibernation via Power Options it will not delete the actual file itself.
Open a command prompt in Windows 7 by typing command in the search box. Right click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.

To turn off or disable hibernation, type the following command at the prompt:
powercfg –h off
This will disable hibernation and will remove the hiberfil.sys file from your system.

Sometimes computers don't come out of sleep mode correctly. If this doesn't work I'd suggest updating your motherboard Bios.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old May 4, 2013, 07:06 PM
Rookie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will try this out and see if it works. I will also add that this last happened when the computer started up into windows I was lauinching a program and the mouse froze then the screen turned to black but the monitor was still on and the computer although I am not sure if it was frozen.
Old May 4, 2013, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

CPUID HWMonitor HWMonitor - CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting (download the EXE version. It might give you some info on that hard drive and some temperatures. Sometimes when programs lock up and crash computers its actually a failing hard drive. But it could be a lot of things causing your problem and this can sometimes be a challenging thing to trouble shoot. It's really a matter of elimination.

If you are new to computers or inexperienced with them I'd suggest getting a program called Malwarebytes. It's pretty good at finding and stopping Malware Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Protect, Detect & Remove Malware From Your PC

And Antivirus if you don't currently have one. I use Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows It has a tiny footprint and works well enough. Out of the many AV programs I've used over the years this one really doesn't bog down the PC. Best part.... its 100% free.

Ya really wanna make sure it's not a software problem as your computer shop didn't notice anything wrong when the build was complete. Go backwards with the software to the best of your knowledge and remove it. Sometimes misc software has sneaky ways of installing other things ya don't want.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; May 4, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:06 PM
Rookie

if they didn't install the right drivers or it was a bad os install could it cause the problem I am experiencing? I also noticed they put lots of junk programs on there like lightscribe which I will never use and other 3rd party things
Old May 5, 2013, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

a sign of failing PSU or trouble with power line, if can borrow a UPS to verify is the issue
Old May 5, 2013, 06:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I RMA'd 3 Samsung monitors last year with the same symptom... they all game back with a firmware update and the problem was fixed.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChacePoint View Post
if they didn't install the right drivers or it was a bad os install could it cause the problem I am experiencing? I also noticed they put lots of junk programs on there like lightscribe which I will never use and other 3rd party things

Yeh ugh... those kinda install suck. They always bloat the computer with junk ya don't want or need. Grinder seems like he had the same problem though. Have you tried the monitor on another computer? That would be the best way to see if have the same problem as him.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old May 8, 2013, 04:59 AM
Rookie

It still happening :( I am going crazy, guess I should start replacing things? any idea what to start with?
Old May 8, 2013, 05:25 AM
Rookie

ok this is weird, when my monitor goes to sleep the video card fan stops then starts up again like 5 seconds later, could this be related?