Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2013, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default constant switching to desktop in game

Hi guys. I have a friend who is having a problem and I have absolutely no clue what is causing this. His computer keeps constantly going to desktop every couple minutes or so while he is in game, possibly more frequent. It has caused the game to be unplayable for him. The game has an option to disable windows key so that is definitely not the problem which is the first thing I asked him.

He is using my old PC which I had no problems with whatsoever. Is it at all possible this is hardware related or is it just software/driver issues? We have no clue but I would like to help him get it back into full working order so we can game together.

Thanks.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Hi guys. I have a friend who is having a problem and I have absolutely no clue what is causing this. His computer keeps constantly going to desktop every couple minutes or so while he is in game, possibly more frequent. It has caused the game to be unplayable for him. The game has an option to disable windows key so that is definitely not the problem which is the first thing I asked him.

He is using my old PC which I had no problems with whatsoever. Is it at all possible this is hardware related or is it just software/driver issues? We have no clue but I would like to help him get it back into full working order so we can game together.

Thanks.
Instant Messaging Clients usually do this.. MSN, Xfire etc.
Old May 2, 2013, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes something that you have running in the back ground anything like email software either turn them off or set it to not alert you.
Old May 2, 2013, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm guessing it is not any kind of email or IM's or anything of that sort as he is not really a socialite nor much of a social media user as he just started to use computers recently.

I will ask him though and mention this to him.

Any other guesses or suggestions?
Old May 2, 2013, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

tell him to hit shift 5 times in a row reasonably fast and disable all windows shortcuts. Key mashers tend to open these sorts of things by accident.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old May 2, 2013, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

might be ardently hitting the windows key under the shift Key if his keyboard has one. happens to me sometimes.
Old May 2, 2013, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

can't picture it being anything hardware. Its got to be a program bringing him back, or a button (alt tab/esc/windows). Does it happen if the game is running, but he is not doing anything with it (not touching the keyboard)?
Old May 2, 2013, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
tell him to hit shift 5 times in a row reasonably fast and disable all windows shortcuts. Key mashers tend to open these sorts of things by accident.
I told him to try that. I'll post back once he reports if it works or not. Thanks :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
might be ardently hitting the windows key under the shift Key if his keyboard has one. happens to me sometimes.
As stated in the op the windows key has been disabled in game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
can't picture it being anything hardware. Its got to be a program bringing him back, or a button (alt tab/esc/windows). Does it happen if the game is running, but he is not doing anything with it (not touching the keyboard)?
Yes it does happen while in game but not doing anything. He said it even happened after a fresh Windows 7 install with just Starcraft 2 installed.

Could it be possible his keyboard is the root cause of the problem? He's using a pretty cheapo microsoft wireless keyboard.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Go task manager,see if there is running stuff,i don't know,mobo installation disk programs or some norton crap :P Must be software problem..
Old May 2, 2013, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Which game is it or is it any other full screen program? like my xbmc would sometimes go to desktop before I set it to " stay on top" of all other programs , I am still thinking that he or she has a program that has the " Stay on top of other programs" running in the back ground or he or she might have programed a key in the game that when pressed does the alttab happens and like others have said might even be the keyboard it self.