Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2013, 12:25 AM
Rookie

Exclamation Won't start up, no beep code.

UHey there, I'm a newcomer here but have fairly intermediate experience with computer hardware, but I'm pretty much stumped here.

Specs:
Biostar n68s+ mobo
Amd phenom II x4 920, overstocked to 3.2ghz (until this happened)
4gb (2x2gb) monster memory 800mhz
EVGA geforce gt 640 2gb factory oc
140gb Seagate 3200rpm hard drive (slow, but I haven really needed anything bigger yet)
Aztec 620 H2O cpu cooling system
500w power supply

It had booted up yesterday morning perfectly fine, then all the sudden my screen shut off. I shutdown my computer and rebooted, it didn't give the normal single beep post code it does saying it's booted up properly, in fact I doesn't give me anything at all, my first instinct is to reset the cmos, I do a quick reset, then a long one, I pull all my connections put and reseated them, still no boot up, I check the mobo for blown or leaking caps, they all seem fine, I check out my power supply, it's powering fine, the memory is literally days old, and the gpu is brand new, only had it for about a week and a half.

Last time I had this issue, it was my optical drive, that was simply fixed by getting a new one, but this time it's not that, I tried disconnecting it and it was still doing the same thing. And I know it's not my hard drive cause with that disconnected, it was still having the same issue.

Last note, just as a clarification, it powers on, but doesn't boot my screen up or boot to bios.

Any ideas?
Old May 1, 2013, 01:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What do you mean it powers on? Your describing a possible "shot" PSU....are all your fans spinning?
Old May 1, 2013, 02:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

sounds like a dead cpu or cmos chip loose or corrupted

Last edited by KaptCrunch; May 1, 2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm taking the statement "it powers on, but doesn't boot my screen up or boot to bios" to mean that all the fans fire up, MB LED's are on, and it generally sounds as though your computer is running? If this is the case, then it's possibly a dead GPU or a problem with your monitor. Have you tried swapping to onboard video and/or swapping the monitor cable? Confirmed monitor has power? Tested the monitor on another system or laptop?

If the above assumption on your statement is incorrect, then please clarify what you mean when you say the computer "powers on".
Old May 1, 2013, 07:33 AM
Rookie

By power on I do mean that fans spin and leds turn on, I have tried my spare monitor and it does the same thing, I have also tried my on board via port and it still doesn't start to the bios.

Normally when I hit the power button, it normally turns the fans on, then leds, then it beeps once and boots up to bios, now it doesn't do that. None of the caps are blown or leaking, and power supply is putting proper power through all its connectors. I have tried connecting to my other hard drive and it still does nothing.

As a side notes, when the leds turn on, then, only the leds on my computer stay one (hdd and power leds), but my keyboard and mouse leds are off and unresponsive.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:24 AM
Rookie

I'm starting to think it's just a short in my mobo, I tried a different psu, but it still starts up the fans and leds, but then nothing happens after that, no post, and my screen doesn't turn on. (my monitor has power and is turned on, but nothing appears on my screen.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:36 AM
Rookie

Well, it turns out one of the brand new sticks of monster memory either went bad or it's incompatible with that specific slot, I throw in my old 2gb stick and see if that works. I
Old May 1, 2013, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would pull the vid card out then fire it up and see if there are any beeps or if any lights on the motherboard light up red ( if it has any lights on the motherboard)
Old May 1, 2013, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellilifax View Post
Well, it turns out one of the brand new sticks of monster memory either went bad or it's incompatible with that specific slot, I throw in my old 2gb stick and see if that works. I
It sounds as though you have this figured out now? But you cut out mid sentence. Did you get electrocuted halfway through the post? Did the zombies get you!?