Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 25, 2013, 12:49 AM
Allstar

Default Windows update failed

I was trying to transcode some videos using Handbrake but it keep throwing an error with .NET framework. I tried reinstalling the framework and handbrake but the problem won't go away. I then try to update the framework via Windows update but keep getting 8007370A error code. I ran surface scan with the drive in its own server and in my own PC. No problems reported but the error code remains. What kind of problem am I looking at here? I Googled it but it's not very conclusive.
Old April 25, 2013, 01:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Software problems are a real pain. Try to restore the system to a known working configuration?
Old April 25, 2013, 01:54 AM
Allstar

I just tried restoring it back to March 30th. The problem just starting to come up around Apr 22, or all least when I noticed it. Could it be a botched update? I try resetting Windows Update using tools from MS but none of them help. WindowsUpdate diagcab detected problems and say they are fixed but when I reboot, same error code. Could this be a virus? I scanned the drive using my regular PC's MalwareByte but nothing showed. I can't even clone the drive using EASIS, keep saying bad sectors but couldn't say if they meant the origin drive or the destination drive. Again, check desk didn't say anything about errors detected.
Old April 25, 2013, 04:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

With software it could be anything these days. You may want to do a clean install. I have been rather lucky in that dept. I have been able to abuse my Vista install on two separate machines and only one clean install in four years (thanks Seagate ). But it only takes once on a bloated drive to bugger things up beyond recognition.

Sadly, MS's convoluted OS has some pretty layman unfriendly and cryptic codes that are virtually useless for the end user and why I usually recommend a clean install rather than trying to trouble shoot after days of trying to figure it out it's just not worth it imo.

That said, if it's the hardware, it may be the drive controller if it's complaining about errors on the drive but a scan shows no bad sectors. I'd reinstall the OS first and see if it still bitches about the drive.
Old April 25, 2013, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

some of the .net stuff errors are strange like if you have . I know that may seem ridiculous but you just might not have the right .net installed or maybe installed in the wrong order. I had a few different .net errors with different software and discovered that just because I had the latest.net installed I need a earlier version because the newer version didn't have one of the parts that was needed from the older version , I think that it was .net 4.5 but I needed something from .net 3 I don't fully remember but it was very frustrating to find this out.
or it could also be that it is just not turned on via services which I also have been guilty of doing turning something off then wondering why a program that needs it isn't working properly
Old April 25, 2013, 10:05 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Might sound odd, try installing a newer game that requires a .net update and use the one from said game. Oddly enough this has worked for me a few times over the years.
Old April 25, 2013, 04:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

try ms
Old April 27, 2013, 04:23 PM
Allstar

I gave up and reinstall the OS. I tried a list of solutions on MS website and none of them work. Even SFC keep saying there's a repair pending but after rebooting like SFC said, problem didn't go away. I even scan the drive using Maxtor HDD tool from Ultimate Boot Disk and it passed. Before I chuck this up as OS corruption, I'll scan the RAM just in case. I just need this damn thing up and running because I got some demo website I use for resume.
Old April 28, 2013, 10:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

windows update can go off into the weeds... usually the software repository on C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. Stop the service, rename the folder and redo you windows updates (should get it back on track). or reload the OS.. heheh
Old April 28, 2013, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

for windows updates sometimes an update that installed will not let other updates install , lol I know that doesn't make sense but you might need to uninstall some updates to install the missing update. this happens allot with Microsoft windows well ok not allot but it has happened a ferw time to me in the past couple of years where for some stupid reason one update gets installed which stops windows from updating and I had to go back a few months in the history ( update history) to uninstall the update ,install all of the other updates and then finally reinstall the update that was screwing up the new updates. after I did t his everything worked properly