Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Sudden death? o.O (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/60817-sudden-death-o-o.html)

frozenskipper April 22, 2013 07:29 AM

Sudden death? o.O

A few weeks back, i randomly encountered this major issue with my desktop. One night, just like any other, i turned my PC off via the windows start meny shut down, and went to bed. The day after, feeling tired from school, i hit the power switch as i usually do, and went to the bathroom to let her go through the bios screens and fire up. When i came back though, nothing had happened. So i hit the power switch again. Still, nothing. I have tried booting her with my graphics cards in different slots, pulled out all the ram and seated a single stick once in every slot. I tried no hard drives, and no peripherals, and even reseating the leads to the power switch. Still nothing happens when i hit it. I also tried a different PSU, as i had one laying around. I am completely at a loss here.. It seems it can only be the motherboard that has crapped out on me (but there are no odd lights that would indicate so), or the i5. Keep in mind that this rig ran strong for one and a half years before this.

sswilson April 22, 2013 07:41 AM

Did you try bypassing the power switch completely? Try momentarily shorting out the pins on the motherboard that the power switch lead would normally be on.

Are you seeing any action at all and/or power lights on the MB?

frozenskipper April 22, 2013 07:50 AM

I guess i should have included this but yes, when i hit the switch the fans move just ever so slightly, and the led's turn on for a second, but then nothing.. So the switch works.

sswilson April 22, 2013 08:20 AM

It sounds like you've tried just about everything, but just to be sure......... Did you do a cmos reset? How about a complete bare bones build outside of the case?

frozenskipper April 22, 2013 11:50 AM

Nah, i really didn't want to get into those things before checking out the forums.

sswilson April 22, 2013 11:56 AM

cmos reset would be the first thing as you can do that without having to disturb anything else. Sometimes the data in the bios just gets corrupted and it needs a kick in the rear end to get it going again.

igot6strings April 22, 2013 12:01 PM

Loose cpu power cable would make the fans spin for a moment before stopping no?

Shadowmeph April 22, 2013 12:29 PM

I would check to make sure that all of the motherboard plug ins are connected properly, I had a motherboard that was finick with one of the main wires from my PSU one stinking wired made my PC not post took me about 10 minutes to figure that out. I powered down and looked at the connectors they looked ok but when I plugged back in the main ATX one of the wires was not connecting I had to push each individual wire until I found the culprit

clshades April 23, 2013 08:40 AM

if you were overclocking and it randomly decided to fail (which can happen) resetting the bios is the best option.

OC-Guru April 29, 2013 02:09 AM

checked to see if the power socket itself is working? :)