Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2008, 07:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default emergency quick question

Just had a little accident. I splashed water across my keyboard, mouse and the front of my screen. Just want to know how badly F**ked I am. I've never dealt with water on a desktop before (the laptop I'm typing on has been frequently wet, and even has a little drain under the keyboard for such events. I love IBM) and want to know if anything could be fried. I know its a stupid panic question, but hey, I'm both stupid and somewhat panicked.

for anyone curious as to how, I was pulling a CD off my top desk shelf. This knocked a Russian hat (the furry kind with the red star) onto my sunglasses, which bumped a picture frame, which knocked a gavel (old trophy) off the shelf, onto a stack of textbooks which sent the bottle of water (cap on, but not screwed, someone will pay) flying. this is less than three weeks after jumping into a pool with my iPod in my pocket (killed the music feature, but enabled the rumble feature).

thanks for indulging the n00b request, guys.
Asus p5K-E Wifi/AP / Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 / 2GB Crucial BallistiX DDR2 1066 / eVGA 8800 GTS 512mb / Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 / Razer Barracuda audio / Seageate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB / PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750w
Old April 24, 2008, 07:45 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Leave everything off and In A Sunny Place for about 48 hours
if you can take anything apart safely without voiding any warranties do so

they might still be okay!
Old April 24, 2008, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You should be fine. If you're that worried shake out as much of the water as you can and leave it to dry for a day or two but I don't think that's necessary. For the voltages we're dealing with here water won't really cause anything to "blow", it's the residue that it leaves behind after it dries that can cause problems (but is fine after being cleaned with a solvent).

I had a pump blow up a few years back and sprayed coolant all over the inside of the case and left my new HDD in a puddle. Everything worked after I let it dry out except the video card... that residue thing I was talking about. After a little wash with a cleaner it was back to life.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old April 24, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.mullie View Post
this is less than three weeks after jumping into a pool with my iPod in my pocket (killed the music feature, but enabled the rumble feature
Ah.....you fun loving Cagarians!! Does this have anything to do with the Flames winning or losing??
Old April 24, 2008, 08:00 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Ah.....you fun loving Cagarians!! Does this have anything to do with the Flames winning or losing??
the Canadians actually (overtime, after tieing it in the last 30 seconds, awesome)

and I'm not too worried about residue, since is was bottled water, non mineral, etc, so essentially distilled. thanks guys. I'll give it a few hours to dry, and check it in the morning

Edit: and hey, top prospect now
Asus p5K-E Wifi/AP / Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 / 2GB Crucial BallistiX DDR2 1066 / eVGA 8800 GTS 512mb / Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 / Razer Barracuda audio / Seageate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB / PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750w
Old April 24, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Definitely leave it awhile (not just overnight) to dry as suggested--once it dries could be fine.

Dropped my walkman down the toilet once-took a couple of weeks to dry out but it worked well enough apart from the remote control on the headphones. Wasnt a cheapo one either!!

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old April 25, 2008, 05:03 AM
MVP
F@H

The best part is the Russian hat. I love those things. Thank yourself that it was not coke - I spilled some onto a keyboard and even after taking it apart to clean it, it was never the same again. probably because of the residue, as biff mentioned.

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old April 25, 2008, 07:46 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default no problems

I fired it up this morning, and everything seemed fine, so that's good