Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2013, 10:32 PM
Top Prospect

Default I give up, silent pc builds are impossible.

I've done everything I can, Fractal R3 case, Laing D5 at setting 1, PSU fan replaced with ap-14 gentle typhoon , rad fans consisting of 1000-1200rpm fractal silent series, and 2 yate loons, fan controllers. And it's still ridiculously noisy. My ghetto secondary pc with a single MCR-320-QP-K is quieter than this.

It seems like I am destined to live with a noisy pc... Kinda makes me miss my core 2 with a Coolit Eco.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If your building a gaming rig, forget about silent. If your building an HTPC it's quiet doable. :)
Old April 16, 2013, 10:49 PM
Top Prospect

Well, it does have some power hungry parts I'd admit, but having all moving parts move less than 1300rpm and still make as much as noise as a stock cooled pc baffles me.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have an Q9550 clocked to 3.8Ghz cooled with an OCZ Vendetta 2 with a 1200rpm Scythe. Quiet, but not silent. My case fans run at 800rpm. Very quiet but still, not silent. My video card is very quiet but not silent. The only time you would hear it is during a gaming session. Unfortunately you can't hear it above the game lol.

Moar power=moar heat=moar noise. There is just no way around that I'm afraid.
Old April 16, 2013, 11:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

my gaming PC is pretty quiet mind you I am half watercooled my CPU is watercooled , when IU had both my vidcard and cpu watercooled it was very quiet so personally I think cool and quiet would be best done watercooled
Old April 17, 2013, 12:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

What are the specs geoc? Running a lot of and/or particularly loud hard drives? Does your mobo have an active cooling fan? GPU and CPU WC'd?

I've gone through a pile of fans, PSUs and mods before I was finally happy with how silent my system is. If my head is more than 3 feet away from the case it is inaudible.

I ended up with Noctua F12 pwms with the low noise adapters and pwm'd down to 700rpm. Low FPI rads. All fans have rubber isolators. The inside of the case has dampening foam everywhere that it can without being seen. D5's set on 2. Small o-rings used to isolate the rads from the case. SSD's + 2 green hdds.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:21 AM
MVP

Do you have the rad on the back fan mount of your case? I find that slot to be extremely noisy due to the way the fan mount is cut(on all cases). If you were to cut it out completely and leave the fan exposed with no grill to protect your fingers it would probably be much quieter. I have a coolit eco as well as a eco II and both sound like a jet engine when using the back as an intake. You may also find it slightly quieter if you change it from an intake to an exhaust as well. This will raise your temps a few degrees on the cpu of course but shouldn't make much difference unless you are a heavy oc'er.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Fans > 600 RPM cannot be considered silent. S-Flex E's at 300-400 RPM could be considered inaudible from 1m distance.

Is your GPU water cooled? Do you have a bunch of hard drives? We will need a complete computer parts list to determine what is the major cause of noise in your system. Like igot6strings said, fan mounts can make a difference too... perhaps include a picture of your setup.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:03 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

My mother's PC is 100% silent, SSD + 2 fans, a coolermaster hyper 612S 700rpm fan,that comes with the cooler and a 600 rpm fan on front + a bitfenix ghost,well you can't hear the PC at all,when i say at all it's true^^

Dude,this fan is awesome

the problem is the graphic's card,will always make noise
Old April 17, 2013, 08:40 AM

My System Specs

You are watercooled so the radiator and fan selection is very important. If you aren't happy w/ noise then add another radiator somehow and drop all your fan speeds down.