Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2013, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

my pc is extremely quiet and can only be heard when the house is completely silent and it's barely audible even in that scenario.

Akasa vipers @800 rpm paired with Alphacool Nexxxos XT45 and UT60 radiators. And I have 9 of those fans in the case, no HDD and silverstone strider gold evolution.

It's definitely not impossible my case isn't even geared towards silence at all.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

If that system isn't getting you quiet, you've got an issue somewhere. A few thoughts:

Best approach would be to turn off/disconnect various things one by one and try to identify if any one thing is causing the issue. You can easily turn the water pump off for 5-10 seconds with no ill effects when computer is idling. Also slide the HDD's out of their racks so they're not touching the case, just to make sure. I don't think that case isolates the drives.

Pump decoupled? Can't tell from the pic. If it isn't sitting on foam/suspended, it'll turn your entire case (foam lined or not) into a drum, even at lowest speed. In regards to above point, if the system noise changes noticeably with pump speed, that's a red flag right there.

Are any of your rads recycling air? If one rad is getting the hot exhaust from another rad, that severely limits how much it can help. So if a rad isn't helping much, but still giving airflow restriction...

Decent balance of intake and exhaust? Ideally, you'd want the radiators to your intake, pulling in fresh air from outside the case, with some unrestricted exhaust fans to get rid of the heated air and make room for more. With that many rads, I want to make sure that your intake/exhaust mix isn't way out of balance.

Yate Loon's are bit of a mixed bag. Some are good, the rest tend to be mediocre. They're also sleeve bearing fans, so they don't always do well when spinning horizontally.

Are you sure that GT fan for the PSU is spinning slowly enough? It's a pretty fast (although smooth) fan at full speed.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

I see bubbles in rez mite be cavitation
Old April 17, 2013, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've been using cheap assed GELID Silent 12 Case Fan at Memory Express fans. Max at 1k and when I turn them down low with my fan controller I cannot hear them at all. I think the pump is the least of your worries... I'd be interested to know what kinda flow rate cooling capacity you're even getting running that slow.

Like someone else mentioned... if you're gaming ya gotta crank those fans up. If it was me I would tool around with the pump speeds until you get the best low temps possible so you know where that dial needs to be to achieve good temps.

Goto the hardware store or Princess Auto (if you have one) and pick a bunch of tiny O-rings to isolate any objects like fans and rads.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:21 PM
Top Prospect

There are bubbles in reservoir because I had just redone the loop yesterday, its still bleeding a bit out.

I have stopped all fans in the case before (other than PSU), and there is still this noise that I can't pin point. So I suspect the PSU was to blame and replaced the PSU fan and it's still noisy.

All rad fans are exhaust, I have 2 fractal 1000rpm in the front as intake.

I think that leaves the pump... when I run it on 5, it produces this slightly high pitch drone, lowering it to the lowest eliminates the drone completely.

Right now I am not sure if it's moving air noise, or just fan and pump vibration.

My secondary pc with a i5 750 at 4.2ghz is way way quieter and it runs on 3 fractal 1000 rpm (same fans as my main pc), a suspended mid-air-by-tubing pump (mcp350) and a corsair cx600 psu, all held together by a flimsy fractal core 1000. And this machine is almost dead silent. I wasn't even attempting to build it for silence.

I GOT IT SILENT!!!, I turned off all fans except one which is for the 120mm alphacool (AP-14), and its bliss... I think the Yate Loons and Fractal 1200rpm are air noises when hitting the radiators.

Last edited by geoc; April 17, 2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

geoc try pump on 2.5 - 3 setting or 1 to see if noise goes away
Old April 17, 2013, 05:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

where is the pump attached anyway? I haven't spotted it! Could it be pump vibration? Are you able to detach it from the case and hold it in your hand away from the side of the case?
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:05 PM
Top Prospect

The pump is wedged between the frame for the hdd trays with crudely packed foam beneath it. I could probably lower the noise from it more, but it's difficult as the pump is just way to big for this case.

Right now, turning all fans off reduced SPL down to 41db. Fractal fans are incredibly noisy. The last tiny bit that really bugs me now is the power supply. I can still hear the AP-14, it's subtle, but its there.

I might have to start cutting the fan grills in the PC, but I don't wanna damage my fractal
Old April 17, 2013, 06:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just depends how quiet you want it I suppose. Compared to a video card fan fired up during gaming it's probably pretty quiet? I've been pretty happy with the geilds... It sits on the desk less than 2 feet from my head.

Did you say you are using a fan controller or not?
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Seasonic X850 Folding 95% GPU and CPU and power supply fan doesn't even spin.

I7 3770K and Zotac 660 TI just surfing the web all I hear is my 220 MM intake fans.

Case you see up to the let theft the there in avatar.