Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2013, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc View Post
I've done everything I can, Fractal R3 case, Laing D5 at setting 1, PSU fan replaced with ap-14 gentle typhoon , rad fans consisting of 1000-1200rpm fractal silent series, and 2 yate loons, fan controllers. And it's still ridiculously noisy. My ghetto secondary pc with a single MCR-320-QP-K is quieter than this.

It seems like I am destined to live with a noisy pc... Kinda makes me miss my core 2 with a Coolit Eco.
What is your full system specs?
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old April 17, 2013, 10:07 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
What is your full system specs?
+1

I think most people overlook the noise from the psu fan. Turn everything on, one at a time to see what is the loudest
Old April 17, 2013, 10:08 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yeah silence is hard to achieve in a gaming PC..... Some little things I found to help are using cases that support 140MM fans an rads or as some one already said adding more rads. You can achieve better cooling with more rad surface area and slow fans then super thick small rads running high speed fans. Some fans don't clock down as silent as others, even though they are running at the same speed you can get audiable whines etc. Certain grills or case cut outs make more noise as air passes through them. I never mount D5 pumps to my chassis as they tend to vibrate thin panel cases alot, instead just let them float on dense foam. Avoid that method with DDC pumps because they seem to heat up and can eventually burnout if heat can't disipate due to the foam. Although plater type HDD are fairly silent the still make some noise and chassis vibrate so SSD's are the best choice. Avoid cheesy ram coolers as they tend to make a ton of noise, DDR3 ram doesnt get hot and case airflow is enough. A way larger than you need PSU will ensure the fan never needs to ramp up. Getting video cards water cooled should be one of the priorities of a silent build because they are always the loudest point of the PC. I been using that sound dampening mat you can get from NCIX and putting it on panels and basically anywhere there is flat surface. All these little things will help alot to making a "silent" build but as you can imagine at a huge cost to you. I have my gaming PC very quiet following all these guidelines when I'm not gaming, but I ramp everything up when I game. I counteract the noise with excessive volume on my speakers lol. Best bet is to deal with a near silent build or just chuck the computer in the next room and buy wire extenders, or use headphones :-)
Old April 17, 2013, 10:33 AM
Top Prospect

Ok heres the system specs:

Intel i7 920
ASRock X58 extreme
EVGA GTX480
Seagate 1TB 7200rpm
OCZ elitestream 800w (swapped fan with Gentle Typhoon ap-14)

Fans: 2x Fractal Silent 1000rpm case fan, 2x Fractal R2 1200rpm rad fan, 2x Yate Loons Rad fan, 1x Gentle Typoon AP-14 rad fan

Rads: AlphaCool 120mm, RX240, BlackIce GT 120mm (I think)

Pump: D5 vario at lowest setting

That is everything I have running right now. It ain't pretty, but its functional
Attached Images

Old April 17, 2013, 10:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I know I am in the minority but I have always hated Yate Loon fans, I find them to be excessively noisy.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old April 17, 2013, 12:00 PM

My System Specs

If it is a Black Ice GT then pull it out of the loop. It likely isn't helping. It has too high of an FPI to be used in a system where silence is the goal as you require higher speed fans for it.
Old April 17, 2013, 01:09 PM
Top Prospect

I think the black ice is this one, it was part of a dangerden build I bought off someone.

Black Ice Xtreme Radiator - Danger Den

Vorroa: yea, I was thinking of getting rid of the yate loons, but I dont have any spare fans to replace it with at the moment.

Is this the blackice really that bad, I mean it couldn't hurt for it to just sit there? I hate having rads lying around, it taunts me until I build a new loop to put it in.

Seems like everyone is saying sub 1000rpm fans is a must for a silent pc (which I tried, made no difference). I could clock down my fractals with my fan controller, but I don't think it'd be possible to do so on my PSU fan.

Case is under my table, and I sit around 2-3 ft from it. Putting my phone next to my keyboard, it is registering around 45db SPL.

Last edited by geoc; April 17, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 01:14 PM
MVP

Put my htpc up in the ceiling.

Its very quiet up there and a good theft preventative measure. If they (thieves) can go through the trouble of lugging it 70 feet along the roof rafters....i'll tip my hat to them.

Gonna be a bitch if I have to do any trouble shooting (but can be done).

Previous house....htpc was in other room I ran wires through the wall.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old April 17, 2013, 02:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Agree on sub 1000rpm fans. As few as possible IMO at the back of the case only if possible as front, top, and side fans generally have an easier path for noise to take. ssd for storage. I would only try for true silence with <65w tdp CPU, and a mid to low end gpu.
Old April 17, 2013, 02:19 PM
MVP

Fan controller would help get noise levels down.

I can't speak for the latest GPU's that are ideal for htpc's (low wattage use). The problem with past gpu's (that should be great for the htpc) is they freaking fans run at 100%. They do not have a fan controller on them....keeping cost down.

Who would have ever thought a htpc build would want a quiet gpu card.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy