Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2013, 11:08 AM
Rookie

Just had a word with Kingston Tech Support. They said Firmware 508 should be out within a month's time to improve things

Meanwhile, I am using Firmware 503 (latest revision) which was recommended by Kingston it improved my write speeds from 170 MB/S to 315 MB/S on the regular tests and up to 450 MB on the tests with the compression method like ATTO Disk Benchmark

If anyone wants the 503, it's in this thread
Old April 29, 2013, 10:36 AM
Rookie

I finally gave up on this crappy drive and returned it. even after the firmware update my scores in write speeds were half what I was getting with my 256 GB LiteonIT LAT-256M3S SSD
Old April 29, 2013, 12:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Thats because you are comparing a 256GB to a 120GB drive....and incorrectly using synth benchmarks to backup your feelings. Honestly, what write speed is 'half'?...and in what context. Sequential speed is a terrible way to choose between two drives. Look at the 4K r/w speed.

IIRC the liteon was a marvel controller based drive...so probably 27-28'ish / 70'ish 4K performance (just an educated guess might be a touch higher or lower than this). I doubt the 3K was doing half of that. If it was...your drive was screwed and needed to be RMA'ed.

In all likelihood your drive was being run in non-TRIM environment...where Marvell drives thrive and SF's should never be used.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 3, 2013, 08:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sorry for the late update guys, getting really busy this days.

thanks for all the inputs guys, and just to put an update on this issue I received a PM from Matrix Leader

Quote:
I had the same as you 170 MB write speeds after upgrading to the 503 firmware that doubled to 316 MB with more to come son according to Kingston Tech support

full details here:

Kingston HyperX 3K SSD slow write speeds fix
I couldnt apply the update he suggested, however I did a test using ATTO Disk Benchmark, and surprise surprise I was getting the advertised speed without even updating, which is something weird if you ask me.

eBay: kalsharabi - HeatWare: LegendMask - HWC: LegendMask
Old May 3, 2013, 09:33 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nope not weird. That is to be expected. ATTO was never meant to be used for SSD drives. It just was one of the few around when SSD's arrived on the scene...and thus became one of the defacto standards. Mfg'ers love it because if you dont have a critical eye - and a lot of experience - ATTO will 'lie' to you. Basically ATTO plays to the SF2281 controllers strong suit and uses EASILY compressible data. Even entry level ONFi 1 drives (think Agility 3) showed good performance curves...as the SF2281 controller was able to 'hide' their weaknesses.

Honestly it is about as optimistic a test as you can get. BUT I like it as it is a nice counter the rather pessimistic CDM and AS-SSD results. To be fair, it can be helpful when troubleshooting a failing drive...Just dont take the ATTO results as gospel....just like CDM and AS-SSD need to be take with a grain of salt. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 27, 2013, 09:23 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Nope not weird. That is to be expected. ATTO was never meant to be used for SSD drives. It just was one of the few around when SSD's arrived on the scene...and thus became one of the defacto standards. Mfg'ers love it because if you dont have a critical eye - and a lot of experience - ATTO will 'lie' to you. Basically ATTO plays to the SF2281 controllers strong suit and uses EASILY compressible data. Even entry level ONFi 1 drives (think Agility 3) showed good performance curves...as the SF2281 controller was able to 'hide' their weaknesses.

Honestly it is about as optimistic a test as you can get. BUT I like it as it is a nice counter the rather pessimistic CDM and AS-SSD results. To be fair, it can be helpful when troubleshooting a failing drive...Just dont take the ATTO results as gospel....just like CDM and AS-SSD need to be take with a grain of salt. ;)
Very true, which is why the advertised speeds on the Kingston HyperX 3K Box is a lie, because under normal situations, data is uncompressed, so the ATTO Disk Benchmark is a big lie in real world performance terms