Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2013, 06:18 PM
Allstar

Default Network cards & firewall dead

Turned on the computer this morning and greeted with a dead network and firewall is off error. I tried to turn on the Windows firewall but greeted with a hex code error message. I also have an separate Intel NIC and tried enable / disable cycle but no luck. During the boot cycle, the onboard NIC's LED lights are on but as soon as Window 7 is loaded, it turns off. Is it possible that I'm looking at a corrupted OS and related to problems I been having with my SSD (ie: game lock up and constant surface scans).
Old April 11, 2013, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Malware-flinging Winnti crew have been RIPPING OFF gaming firms for YEARS ? The Register

Maybe :(
Old April 11, 2013, 08:23 PM
Allstar

The only online game that I was playing was World of Tanks.
Old April 12, 2013, 10:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I had the same issue with my nic card after i installed windows updates this past tuesday, did not notice firewall issue, Luckily I had a 3 day old restore point, did that, everything ran fine, i have done all the updates except the IE10 service pack so far and all is fine.will try that update later today to see if it works out ok.
Old April 12, 2013, 11:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There was an issue with one of the updates pushed on Tuesday that Microsoft has since recalled and says you should uninstall.

This one: MS13-036: Description of the security update for the Windows file system kernel-mode driver (ntfs.sys): April 9, 2013

Might have something to do with it?
Old April 12, 2013, 12:23 PM
Allstar

I tried System Restore to restore back to Apr 8, before the update and the restore completely failed. I gave up and just unplug that SSD and in the process of reinstalling Windows on the 2nd SSD. I'll know for sure if it's the SSD or some other hardware when I reload my games and use it for a week or 2.
Old April 20, 2013, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

sounds more like Net drivers corrupt or onboard lan has failed , try adding a NIC to see if corrects
Old April 20, 2013, 01:44 PM
Allstar

No. It was a corrupted Windows 7 for sure because I'm using the onboard NIC and the Intel NIC and both works fine. Also no annoying lock up in WoT so far.