Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2013, 12:06 PM
Rookie

Default Computer Crashes, Will not Turn on for Several Minutes

Over the past 2 weeks my computer has been shutting down like someone yanked out the powercord at random. At first it happened once every 3 days, and by last night it had increased to every 3 minutes.

Clearly something is wrong and I am trying to figure out what exactly. I have attempted some troubleshooting but now I need some help from people with much better experience.

The random crashes generally do not happen when I am doing graphic intensive tasks, generally it happens when i am surfing the web, listening to music or anything like that.

I ran memtest and my Ram passed with no problems

I believe the issue is either my PSU (700W, one year old, forgot the brand isn't a A+ Brand though) or my MOBO (Intel LGA 1155 Model, 2 months old)

The problems began when I replaced by Radeon 6870 GPU with a Nvidia 660TI, but power wattage difference for each card is not too dramatic.

At first, it was just my screen flickering once and a while. Then the random restarts began.
It will crash like the power plug has been pulled out. I will not be able to boot it back up again. I have to turn off the power and wait till all the lights inside the case go out before I can turn the power back on and then the computer.

Last night when it was really bad I removed the GPU, and went with onboard graphics, and the computer still crashed.

Do you guys think this is a PSU issue or a Motherboard Issue?

Thank You
Old April 8, 2013, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the first thing I would do is see if I did any changes at all like adding in new hardware or updating software, then I look at your Admin logs to see what shows up to make sure that it isn't some update or even a software that isn't messing around, then lastly I would stress test the CPU GPU and then finally before I would go to bed I would run the mem test over night
Old April 8, 2013, 12:37 PM
Rookie

I ran the memtest for about 6 hours until it said it was completed.
At this point, the machine will not stay turned on for any longer than 3 minutes it would be impossible to stress test anything.
I also checked the logs, and it called the issue a 'Kernel Power Problem, Event 41' - 'The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first' It logged the same problem for every crash I have had.

As for software, I have not installed any new software that would cause this issue. It rarely even makes it to the desktop for any software to be initialized.
Old April 8, 2013, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

first use cc cleaner to remove ati drivers, if this a problem ...back up data....files, pic's, game profiles and saves.....then get all your current hardware drivers on memstik then format and re-install OS
Old April 8, 2013, 12:39 PM
Rookie

Thank you for the response,

I removed every last bit of ATI drivers and there was not an issue, but if I can get it running again stable I will reformat and reinstall the OS
Old April 8, 2013, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

by the way what MotherBoard model an bios version @ now
Old April 8, 2013, 12:51 PM
Rookie

My motherboard model is:
Intel® Desktop Board DZ77GAL-70K Extreme Series

And the bios i believe is updated to the most recent version, my very computer literate friend did that for me while I was bbqing...
Old April 8, 2013, 01:08 PM
Rookie

I just found a review of my PSU, apparently it is an especially terrible one. I believe it is the most likely culprit for my computers issues.
http://www.************/article/2011...9#.UWMij5OUSiM
Old April 8, 2013, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

intel drivers for your mb

BIOS of the following Intel® Desktop Boards: DZ77GA-70K, DZ77RE-75K.

3/13/2013

version:0064
Old April 8, 2013, 11:42 PM
MVP

PS or MB is dieing.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy