Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2013, 06:14 PM
Rookie

Default Please help/connection to Internet

Hi I just got my new computer.... And I don't know how to connect to the Internet. I would think I could connect wirelessly but nothing comes up for my router. I'm I even able to connect wirelessly? How would I know?? Please help
Old April 4, 2013, 06:16 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Computer, as in desktop, or laptop? If desktop, does it have a PCI-E wireless network antenna? If laptop, did you switch on the wireless antenna?
Old April 4, 2013, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What Computer, what router.

Edit : ninja ^
Old April 4, 2013, 06:23 PM
Rookie

Desktop/how would I know if it has a wireless antenna, I'm not sure? I would think it has one already in. Or do I need to buy one? Should I have to plug in a Ethernet cable and get a route to pick up my wireless Internet? My old desktop had no problem connecting wireless
Old April 4, 2013, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

look on your task bar it should have some type of network on it just hover your mouse over it to see, this all depends on which OS you are using . normally Desktops don't have a wireless connection with out somthing like a USB adapter and on some desktop computers they might have antennae on the back
Old April 4, 2013, 09:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxCapacitor View Post
Desktop/how would I know if it has a wireless antenna, I'm not sure? I would think it has one already in. Or do I need to buy one? Should I have to plug in a Ethernet cable and get a route to pick up my wireless Internet? My old desktop had no problem connecting wireless
Not trying to be mean, but with statements like this you're in waaaaay over your head.

You need to read up on some stuff, but at this point I don't even know where you'd start.

To use wireless you need a wireless adapter. It might be built in, or it might not be. You need to figure that out.

If it's not included in your desktop then you're going to need a wireless bridge so that you can plug your desktop in via ethernet cord.

We need to know your source of internet first, and how it's being turned into wireless. If it's (for instance) some sort of xDSL modem it could also be a router that includes wireless. In that case I'd run an ethernet cord from the modem/router and plug it directly into your desktop.

Basically more (and accurate) information is needed.
Old April 5, 2013, 05:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxCapacitor View Post

look for round gold connection like cable tv but a lot smaller
Old April 5, 2013, 05:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

want free connection try a mc donalds
Old April 5, 2013, 03:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Give the man some help here! Such an easy problem for you uber tech heads :p

Device manager anybody?

start > control panel > device manager (on windows 7), if you don't see it there you have the noob mode enabled for your control panel. It's still there, but you'll have to hunt a bit more.

Now you can see all devices plugged into your computer (and ones that are native to the motherboard).

Now click "Network adapters"

I see "Intel(R) 82583V Gigabit Network Connection" and it has a wired looking icon with 2 monitors in it.

If you have wireless you'll see something like "Wireless adapter"

Ez ez!

If you don't have a wireless adapter card, you'll have to buy one. Less than 20 bucks gets you wicked-sick one.

Hope this helps!
Old April 5, 2013, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

usb wireless way cheaper and works just as well Kapt... just sayin man. Keep in mind this fella might not be adept at installing that card.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.