Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2013, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

if that doesn't work conformal coating can help stop the whine. Conformal Coatings for Electronics | MasterBond.com

or google more info if you wanna find it.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 8, 2013, 09:13 PM
Rookie

Alright, here I am with an update. tl;dr at bottom.

Bought a new mobo, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

No fix. After 5-10 minutes of my comp being on, the coil whine started while idle. I get very frustrated. I start to look at the catalyst software suite, I monitor my GPU. Whenever the coil whine starts(which is when my comp is idle, it is SILENT when I am playing games), the activity, and temperature raises on my GPU. The second the whine stops, the activity and temperature drop back down. So I think "It's definitely the video card then".

So as I wait for XFX(whose support sucks btw), I decide to start looking up some other things. I thought to myself "what is one of the things I changed in my CPU shortly before this started happening", then I realized I bought a new SSD and HDD.

After reading reviews on the SSD I bought(it had over 400 reviews and a 4 star rating and it was an OCZ Tech SSD), I saw a lot of people complaining about having problems with it within a couple days to a couple weeks of owning it. I dug deeper, looked up "SSD coil whine" and found some interesting threads where others have stated that they had major coil whine, but ONLY when their SSD was hooked up. I thought this was crazy because the SSD has no moving parts. So, what do I do? I go out and buy another SSD, hook it up, and going on 2 hours now so far without a single coil whine(it always happens in 5-10 minutes on the previous SSD). So I unhook my new one, hook up my old one, BAM, coil whine.

It seems the SSD IS the issue, as crazy as it sounds. Has anyone else heard of this before? I'm guessing something is being transmitted through the PSU from the SSD to cause this coil whine. Must be a defect in the SSD.

Either way, as of right now, the problem has been solved. If anything happens within the next few days, I'll come back and update.

tl;dr SSD seems to be the issue. Bought a new one, no more coil whine.

P.S. Can software cause coil whine? Maybe it's something installed on the old SSD? I could always try reformatting it to see if that would fix anything.
Old April 8, 2013, 10:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

It might make sense if the SSD is in use, that the power draw on the same rail is causing the voltage to sag just enough to piss off your video cards/motherboard and cause that whine.
Old April 9, 2013, 02:08 PM
Rookie

UPDATE:
After reformatting the SSD that was causing the coil whine, I'm not receiving any coil whine now.
I haven't been using it for an extended amount of time since the reformat. i'm still going to try and return it and get a refund, as it could begin the coil whine again at anytime.
Old April 9, 2013, 03:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just wanna add my experience with same issue, around two years ago. I had a coil whine noise that was really annoying, it was solved by replacing my PSU. Might wanna check it out if the whine comes back.

eBay: kalsharabi - HeatWare: LegendMask - HWC: LegendMask
Old April 9, 2013, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

I glanced over the thread and you never mentioned your power supply type.
Old April 9, 2013, 03:28 PM
Rookie

I've used 2 different Cooler Master Silent PROm 850W, and the Corsair HX850.

All 3 PSU's that I've tried had coil whine with this SSD.

Oh, also my Corsair 750W that I had awhile back did it as well.

So 4 power supplies, still coil whine. Replaced the SSD, no more coil whine.
Old April 9, 2013, 03:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendMask View Post
Just wanna add my experience with same issue, around two years ago. I had a coil whine noise that was really annoying, it was solved by replacing my PSU. Might wanna check it out if the whine comes back.
My OP mentions that I replaced my PSU 3 different times.
Old April 9, 2013, 03:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armisael191 View Post
My OP mentions that I replaced my PSU 3 different times.
sorry Anyway hope you get things solved

eBay: kalsharabi - HeatWare: LegendMask - HWC: LegendMask