Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2013, 08:36 AM
Rookie

Default WinXP Pro x64 Installation Problem

Hi there, I put a WinXP iso file on my USB Flash drive, everything's ok until the Windows installation part, where it shows how much time is left at the installation, "Setup will completed approximately: 13 minutes"
There, i get errors like "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
If i just click "Ok" to all the errors, i'll be able to log in WinXP, but i won't be able to do anything, like install a program, it will tell me the same error message
Anyone knows what to do? Would be really appreciate, thx!

Bytheway, i used WinToFlash

Last edited by ShadowRocks; April 3, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old April 3, 2013, 09:19 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Sounds like your boot order is wrong in your bios, or the flash drive is getting assigned as drive C:

Make sure your hard drive is the first boot device.
Old April 3, 2013, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Sounds like your boot order is wrong in your bios, or the flash drive is getting assigned as drive C:

This.

Or he has another USB device like a card reader installed throwing off the drive assignment.
Old April 3, 2013, 10:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yes I agree with the above posts perhaps if you get a chance install it from CD/DVD instead and that should resolve the issue instantly. Also may I ask why your installing Win XP 64 Pro? Most software from my understanding was never really compatible so really the only improvement would be the "+4GB RAM).

Just my 2 cents gl :)

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old April 3, 2013, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post
Yes I agree with the above posts perhaps if you get a chance install it from CD/DVD instead and that should resolve the issue instantly. Also may I ask why your installing Win XP 64 Pro? Most software from my understanding was never really compatible so really the only improvement would be the "+4GB RAM).

XP x64 believe it or not ran very well with most software. It got a HORRIBLE reputation which it really should not have deserved.

The biggest issue was the world was not ready for a 64bit OS :P
Old April 3, 2013, 11:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post

Because i don't have a CD/DVD Drive
And yeah, i want WinXp x64 because i have 8Gb ram

I had Win7, worked ok, but had some bugs here and there =(
Old April 3, 2013, 11:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post

I did everything you wrote, putting the good boot order, even unplugging my 2nd hard drive, and i still got the errors (first being about the RUNDLL32.exe, followed by many others)

I noticed the flash drive's letter seems to change often though, maybe it changed during the installation process? How could i put it "fix" ?

If any of you have other solutions, i'll try them all! Thank you!
Old April 4, 2013, 01:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

why don't you try to use a DVD unit? maybe borrow one from your friends? nobody in your area on this forum would be able to help you?
Old April 4, 2013, 07:56 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
why don't you try to use a DVD unit? maybe borrow one from your friends? nobody in your area on this forum would be able to help you?
Well I ask at first, if someone knows a way around that problem, but I did borrowed my brother's DVD unit, and I'm installing right now, soon I'll know if it works or notm i'll let you guys know
Old April 4, 2013, 08:12 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

You could try pulling the usb drive after the "Copying Files...." part of the install.