Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2013, 08:14 AM
Rookie

Well it did work flawlessly with the DVD unit, so thanks to all of you (I may try pulling out the USB flash drive another time)

Have a good day!
Old April 4, 2013, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
XP x64 believe it or not ran very well with most software. It got a HORRIBLE reputation which it really should not have deserved.

The biggest issue was the world was not ready for a 64bit OS :P
I still have XP x64 laying around and the only reason I don't use it is because of drivers I cannot seem to find any drivers for it
Old April 4, 2013, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I still have XP x64 laying around and the only reason I don't use it is because of drivers I cannot seem to find any drivers for it
Well you can't expect to find drivers for stuff NOW. But I mean I was running a e8600 with a biostar board and a 8800gt with no issues.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRocks View Post
Because i don't have a CD/DVD Drive
And yeah, i want WinXp x64 because i have 8Gb ram

I had Win7, worked ok, but had some bugs here and there =(
I'm quite surprised you believe XP x64 works better than Windows 7 x64.

You do know that XP is EoL next year? There will be no security patches for it and lots of applications are starting to drop XP support as well. It's like all the people who kept hanging onto IE6. One way or another, you will be forced to upgrade and get off this old stuff.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:33 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I'm quite surprised you believe XP x64 works better than Windows 7 x64.

You do know that XP is EoL next year? There will be no security patches for it and lots of applications are starting to drop XP support as well. It's like all the people who kept hanging onto IE6. One way or another, you will be forced to upgrade and get off this old stuff.
* I thought it would work better than Win7

I'm experimenting WinXp64bits for the first time right now, I'm dissapoint again, thought it would be better than the version i had of Win7 x64 (I had a lot of "file administrator" problems, that i couldn't copy, replace, edit some files when in fact, i was the admin, and i had given every rights i could in the folder's options)

So yeah... i'll still test WinXP x64 for some time, and may come back to Win7 soon
Old April 5, 2013, 01:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Easy way to fix that in Windows 7, disable UAC entirely:

Open regedit and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System. Change "EnableLUA" to 0.

You can do the same in Windows 8 too, but then you break some of the start menu as none of the apps will open, not that most desktop users use them anyways.
Old April 5, 2013, 02:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Easy way to fix that in Windows 7, disable UAC entirely:

Open regedit and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System. Change "EnableLUA" to 0.

You can do the same in Windows 8 too, but then you break some of the start menu as none of the apps will open, not that most desktop users use them anyways.
I'm definitely writing that down, another thing, WMP 12 really sucks, is there anyway to have WMP 11 in Windows 7 x64 ? I saw a way on internet... but seemed complicated and may not have work

Or another good media player besides Winamp ?

Thanks!
Old April 5, 2013, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I'm definitely writing that down, another thing, WMP 12 really sucks, is there anyway to have WMP 11 in Windows 7 x64 ? I saw a way on internet... but seemed complicated and may not have work

Or another good media player besides Winamp ?

Thanks!
Winamp for music
VLC for a simple front end video player
XBMC for a full fledged media center
Old April 5, 2013, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I was gonna say try the boxee software but it appears they don't support the pc version anymore... shame.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 5, 2013, 06:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Curious, what do you find "wrong" with WMP12 compared to WMP11? They're effectively the same, MS hasn't done much to WMP really. The only major difference in Windows 7 is the addition of codecs by default (which make videos look really bad IMO). If you install a codec pack, that'll solve that.