Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2013, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default GPU folding and a hard drive partition corrupted

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a Folding + file server rig, and overnight two separate things happened overnight. I was copying tens of GB of files to the rig (over gigabit LAN) while it was doing uniprocessor + GPU folding. 2 of those three things failed.
  1. F@H GPU failed with about 15 instances of GPU_MEMTEST_ERROR (124 = 0x7c). The folding client dropped the GPU client after this.
  2. The hard drive partition that I was copying my backups on to got corrupted. A CHKDSK revealed several screens full of errors (similar to what a dead hard drive would show), but WD DLG shows nothing on the quick test. (I'm running a long test now.)

Oddly enough, the CPU folding went on happily as if nothing happened.

The configuration of the rig is as follows:
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 5200+ (65W Brisbane) / Cooler Master GeminII with 120mm Antec TriCool fan on its "low" preset
Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM HDMI (without the HDMI thingie installed)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 550 Ti, factory OC to 970 core (no monitor attached)
RAM:
2x2GB Corsair DDR2-667
2x1GB generic DDR2-667
Hard drives:
Seagate Momentus XT 320GB (OS)
Seagate 7200.10 360GB (Folding)
WD Caviar Green 1.5 TB WD15EADS (Drive that the backups failed on)
PSU: Cooler Master Elite 400W
Case: Antec New Solution, with 2x 120mm fans up front, no exhaust fan

Everything is at their factory specs.

The GPU passed an overnight run of MSI Afterburner (swapped my main's 660Ti with it one night before installing it in the folding rig).
Where/how should I start the troubleshooting?
I'd think RAM but the CPU folding didn't fail and the computer seems to be passing its Prime Blend that I've been running for the past 50 minutes. At the moment I'm running Prime Blend + a long test on the WD15EADS. I'd like to monitor temps but I'm not sure which software to use on a board this old...

Thanks!
Old April 2, 2013, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

sounds like you are trying to do too much man. I'm not sure I would fold while copying tons files like that... A 4 core cpu might handle that kind of loading but I doubt an x2 can handle massive data transfers while folding.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 2, 2013, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yep.

Don't run CPU folding while doing anything important . Ever.

While Stanford will claim the folding client properly 'hands-off' work when required , , it's my experience it doesn't.It'll suck cpu cycles till shit fails.

Just shut folding off when you are doing important things like transfer/burning/etc.

Old April 2, 2013, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm I've been running "Folding home servers" for the last 3 years and didn't hear that one before, although on admittedly lower loads than what I'm doing here.

Looking at the GPU-Z while folding on that rig, it looks like the GPU is being bottlenecked by something as well (making me believe what you're saying that I swamped that poor rig mainly made of 5 year old parts).
If I fold uniprocessor while GPU folding, the GTX 550 Ti reads 30% load. If I'm GPU folding only, the GPU is at 60% load... The temps are below 70C and the PCI-E link is reading 1.1 x16 speeds (mobo maxed out) so the GPU itself isn't throttling but it's being starved. Maybe the HT link or the CPU can't actually feed a GPU that's 4.5 generations ahead?
EDIT: Enabling Aero gives me 90'ish percent GPU load, although I'm still likely maxing out something other than GPU on that thing

Last edited by frontier204; April 2, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old April 2, 2013, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

gpu is bottle necking on that x2 for sure man.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.