Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2013, 12:59 PM
Rookie

Default Coffee spilt on power adapter

Hello all,

My sister had spilt a small amount of coffee on her power adapter while it was plugged into her laptop. She immediately unplugged it from the laptop, and the adapter looks sealed enough to not let anything in, but alas it will not even show a post screen. Even plugging its VGA port into an external monitor shows nothing, so I think the motherboard is kaput. Even worse, when I took out her HDD to grab the data off, there is a silent yet distinct click of death coming from it (I never know coffee could cause such an issue). Would it be worthwhile to try get a new motherboard and install it in the laptop? Money is not abundant for her right now and she really liked her old laptop, so if I could get it running again for her for cheap I would no hesitate to do that. I don't have experience swapping out a MB from a laptop, but am not afraid of taking a shot at it at all. The HDD will obviously have to be replaced, too. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L645D - S4056. I see a MB on ebay, but is a S4040. Would that be close enough to work in her laptop? Is the power adapter messed to the point that it will likely fry the new MB as well? Thanks in advance for your advice :)
Old March 31, 2013, 02:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would say try a new power adapter first, if that doesn't work, just buy a new laptop.

I wouldn't really go through the hassle and cost of replacing the motherboard, only to find out something else is also broken. Then you'll end up spending just as much (if not more) than just buying a new one in the first place.

As a totally random example, Newegg has a refurb'd Ultrabook for $480: Newegg.ca - Refurbished: TOSHIBA Satellite Z830-00K 13.3" Ultrabook
Old March 31, 2013, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I would say try a new power adapter first, if that doesn't work, just buy a new laptop.

I wouldn't really go through the hassle and cost of replacing the motherboard, only to find out something else is also broken. Then you'll end up spending just as much (if not more) than just buying a new one in the first place.

As a totally random example, Newegg has a refurb'd Ultrabook for $480: Newegg.ca - Refurbished: TOSHIBA Satellite Z830-00K 13.3" Ultrabook
yes why spend good money after bad stuff

best remove cmos battery, batt and wash everything that got coffee on

not HDD, just let it dry out more on HDD
Old March 31, 2013, 04:55 PM
Rookie

Good point. Best just replace it then. Fortunately no coffee got on any of the laptop itself, only a small bit on the power adapter that was sitting a few feet away from the laptop. Some little bit must of got in there and the power surge fried the whole unit. It powers on, and the power light is lit, but it doesn't beep any error codes or show any on the led lights on the front. Guess we'll just have to go the new(or refurbished) laptop route. Thanks for the advice guys, I like the look of that ultrabook there :)