Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2013, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default pullin my hair out... FC VGA water block. 7970

Ok so this is really starting to grind on my nerves and I'm sure I'm not the only one having this problem.

I need to know if a 7970 is reference design or not and if the card makers don't specifically say so how do I know other than looking at a shitty little picture? Then buying card ripping off the HSF and comparing it. It's ludacris!!! This is information I need prior to purchasing NOT after. That said... where do I find a list of which cards that are IN STOCK and are reference design.

Waterblock makers don't specifically say which cards their blocks will work with other than reference design and card makers don't specifically say if it's a ref design or not....

There-in lies the problem
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 31, 2013, 11:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It's not usually very hard with a little experience. Do research on "card X" with "block Y". I would literally type in "Sapphire 6950 toxic full cover waterblock" into startpage.com (screw google), and start combing through results (6950 is my card).

Keep in mind:

1: Not all blocks have a FC waterblock that fits.
2: More popular cards (like dcuII) are going to have more compatibility.
3: You can quite often start at a manufacturer's site (like Home - Rouchon Industries Inc., dba Swiftech - PC Liquid Cooling Systems, CPU and VGA Coolers, Water Blocks, Heatsinks, Pumps, Radiators, Heat Exchangers, Cooling Kits) and see what models their blocks are compatible with. Stores will not supply exhaustive lists more often than not. Go to the source.
4: 7970 come in many similar flavours. Be precise. For example, I think sapphire has more than 3 7970 models.

Swiftech KOMODO-HD7900 series - PC Liquid Cooling Systems CPU Cooler VGA Water Block Heatsink Pump Radiator Heat Exchanger Kit

For example.
Old April 1, 2013, 01:20 AM
Top Prospect

"Grind your gears" and "get on your nerves"

Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities. - Voltaire

There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages.- Ruth Hurmence Green

There is not enough love and kindness in the world to give any of it away to imaginary beings. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old April 1, 2013, 05:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for the post I will look into this info. I have to say that these guys making $100+ water blocks that still require other plumbing fittings and other expensive odds and sods should absolutely be providing accurate lists of video cards that work with their blocks. Motherboard makers do a pretty good job of providing QVL lists for cpus and ram componants that make a mobo work and cost similar prices if not more. So i gotta disagree with that comment. And while I admittedly don't have a ton of experience with with GPU blocks I know that it continues to be a huge pain in the ass for everyone. Most of the places I have searched and read don't provide that much info on their blocks other than it will work with a reference board only which is the reason for this post. *end rant*

Simply saying "reference design only" is pretty non specific when the card manufacturers don't specifically say this card is or isn't a reference design.

Since this post we have ordered a 350 dollar powercolor off ncix due to memory express' complete lack of stock and from everything I can see it's a ref board.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 9, 2013, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

problem solved... gotta look to see if the card has dual DVI or not. Dual dvi cards don't work single dvi cards work for the xspc gpu block.

this card is reference 7970 : HIS Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI, Dual DP at Memory Express
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.