Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2013, 09:59 AM
Rookie

Exclamation I am in deep trouble,please help

I am in deep trouble, need help.
So, here's my story:
I know its long but please bear with me.
I was in my neigbour's house and was using his PC. I found it to be painfully slow. I installed an antivirus, scanned the PC, found virus and cleaned it. It was much better than before. I proud myself on my knowledge of software part of a computer (I am not an expert in any way, but better than the pople around me. Now, that I think of it, the people around me haven't raised the bar too high).
Anyways, one of my favourite things to do is to reinvent a PC.
When my neighbour arrived back from his 9 to 9 job, I told him about the virus (he doesn't know anything about computers, so apparently it was a big deal for him). I offered to clean his PC for him. He agreed and also told me about the computer making some noises (his CPU cooling fan). I told him that I will look into it. I did whatever I could to clean Windows and finally decided to reinstall it, install latest drivers etc. Before doing that I decided to clean the compuetr hardware. I opened the cabinet and discovered a lot of dust on the CPU cooling fan. I was in the zone I knew nothing about. Naturally, I wanted to learn (after all it was not my computer). I took the cooling fan off and cleaned it off all the dust. This is the part where I think I screwed up. I reinstalled the fan without using any thermal paste (I didn't have any). I tried turning the computer on but couldn't see anything on the monitor but I did hear various kinds of beep sounds. The computer turned itself off within a few seconds. I opened the cabinet again, checked all the wires and put all the things back again. This time I heard the beeps again and a messeage flashed on the monitor which I don't remember exactly but it was something like this, "your system turned off previously due to your CPU getting overheated" and the system turned off again. I tried to turn it back on but failed. Since then I have opened the case and checked all the wires hundreds of times but I am still unable to see anything onscreen. I told my neigbour's wife that the computer is not turning back on and assured her that I will do something about it tomorrow and she will probably cover up for me till then. My neighbour (I hope) won't try to use the computer till then.
Please help........................
Old March 29, 2013, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

you didn't say where are located to direct you to getting some T.I.M.

don't try computer till you get some paste

also never spin any fan that's connected to motherboard with air blasters

use a soft haired paint brush to cleanout dust while using vacume
Old March 29, 2013, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well from your text you're leaning towards the HSF being the issue. You need to clarify that first. However, even without thermal paste it should run longer than that, so I'm going to assume the mount is wrong.....
Old March 29, 2013, 10:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Google is your friend.....

Get as much info as you can about the cpu & cooler you are working with.

You will have to carefully inspect what you were working on and make sure you did not break any cpu cooler mounting clips. Get some TIM and reapply on cooler after properly cleaning the base. Ensure the cpu cooling fan starts up when the unit is powered on. You may have to reset the cmos as well. Best thing is to NEVER experiment on anyone's computer without their agreement in case things go wrong.

The beeps you are hearing are an indication of what the problem may be....

http://http://pcsupport.about.com/od...eepcodestb.htm
Old March 29, 2013, 10:24 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
you didn't say where are located to direct you to getting some T.I.M.

don't try computer till you get some paste
I live in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Google is your friend.....

Get as much info as you can about the cpu & cooler you are working with.

You will have to carefully inspect what you were working on and make sure you did not break any cpu cooler mounting clips. Get some TIM and reapply on cooler after properly cleaning the base. Ensure the cpu cooling fan starts up when the unit is powered on. You may have to reset the cmos as well. Best thing is to NEVER experiment on anyone's computer without their agreement in case things go wrong.

The beeps you are hearing are an indication of what the problem may be....

http://http://pcsupport.about.com/od...eepcodestb.htm
The cooling fan is working fine. And I did break the mounting pins. I have it mounted just barely. It can fall easily.

Last edited by Arinoth; March 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old March 29, 2013, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

fleabay or local computer shop or electronic repair shop
Old March 29, 2013, 10:41 AM
Rookie

I will ask in a repair shop if they would be able to help. Thanx guys for all the help
Old March 29, 2013, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

how many beeps the beeps would probably tell you allot it could be something as simple as you bumped the video card or even one of the plugin wires isn't connecting properly ., I am probably not correct in this but to be honest the only thing I can think of why thermal paste is important is becasue it fills in any micro spots so that the heat sink makes better contact, I am not saying that you do not need thermal paste because I would not run a PC for very long with out it but I have started a PC up with out thermal paste with out any issues and actually used it for a couple of days before I realized that in the excitement of my first cpu upgrade on my old Pentium PC the thermal paste was still in its original plastic cover lol. and Like I said I won't recomend not using it but I doubt that it has anything to do with your current issue.
it is most likely someinth was move incorrectly or even the CPU might not be seated properly which is why I ask about the beeps .
Old March 29, 2013, 11:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think it's the paste, if the OP is legit it sounds like he either broke one (or more) of the mounting pins and/or doesn't have them properly tightened down. Thermal paste or no, if the Heatsink isn't relatively tightly secured it's not going to provide even as much thermal transfer as a passive heatsink would.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 29, 2013, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What socket is it (or what CPU or motherboard) so we know what type of heatsink your dealing with.

Tags
booting , cooling , cpu , overheating