Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2013, 03:50 AM
LionRed's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dargaville, New Zealand
Posts: 474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post

also never spin any fan that's connected to motherboard with air blasters
OK i'll bite, this is a new one to me.
...and why shouldn't we never spin any fan that is connected to the MB with air blasters? Does someone think it will hurt the bearings or something in the fan?



Op has mentioned he broke the mounting pins...

Unfortunately without the mounting pins (hooks, clips, brackets?) ....the proper pressure isn't being applied to the cpu and heat sink.
__________________
They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2013, 05:10 AM
KaptCrunch's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
OK i'll bite, this is a new one to me.
...and why shouldn't we never spin any fan that is connected to the MB with air blasters? Does someone think it will hurt the bearings or something in the fan?



Op has mentioned he broke the mounting pins...

Unfortunately without the mounting pins (hooks, clips, brackets?) ....the proper pressure isn't being applied to the cpu and heat sink.
simply for you are generating power to MB via magnetic field passes wires creates more then 12v

try it your self

supply's: cpu fan, can air/compressor, volt meter

task: hook meter to blk red then support fan then spin fan with air jet steam
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2013, 07:19 AM
Bond007's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 3,119

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
never spin any fan that's connected to motherboard with air blasters
I do this all the time on without issue on multiple computers (resorting to qtips if required) withou issue. Is there any reason we shouldn't?
__________________
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2013, 07:56 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Default

I tried a new cooler and installed it correctly. The computer is not starting still. All other parts are working fine I believe because all the lights are turning on. Its the processor which I believe is the problem. I might have to change it
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2013, 08:00 AM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,780

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
I do this all the time on without issue on multiple computers (resorting to qtips if required) withou issue. Is there any reason we shouldn't?
It's really bad for the bearings to be run up higher than their rated speed. I hadn't thought of the issue of it turning them into little generators but now that somebody has suggested it I suppose it's in the realm of possibility for that to be an issue.

On the bearing side... that's one of the major safety rules we were taught WRT cleaning wheel bearings, although in that case there's apparently a chance that the bearing might fail catastrophically at high speed and start flinging ball bearings around at max velocity. :)
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i7 4770K / 2X 8G Gskill 1866 Sniper / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2013, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,483

My System Specs

Default

sometimes man things just fail... you get them cleaned up etc and unfortunately things go pfffft. Check all the capacitors on the motherboard and make sure none of them are swollen or popped.

http://www.tnpcnewsletter.com/dan/Bu...s/close-up.jpg

I've had this happen to me and just the unplugging, cleaning up, and re-firing popped a couple caps. IF that's the case you are pretty much off the hook as its just bad luck. IF you fried the cpu due to improperly mounting the HSF then you'll need to replace the cpu.
__________________
__________________________________________________ __________
"Lesson's cost money... good ones costs lots" -Tony Beets (gold rush)
__________________________________________________ __________
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2013, 10:13 AM
KaptCrunch's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,964
Default global

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
It's really bad for the bearings to be run up higher than their rated speed. I hadn't thought of the issue of it turning them into little generators but now that somebody has suggested it I suppose it's in the realm of possibility for that to be an issue.

On the bearing side... that's one of the major safety rules we were taught WRT cleaning wheel bearings, although in that case there's apparently a chance that the bearing might fail catastrophically at high speed and start flinging ball bearings around at max velocity. :)

I suggest with caged bearings you wouldn't want be near when comes apart

for the metal comes @ u like a grenade of glass shards

OP yes the cpu died of overheated, try to match or exceed CPU but match motherboard spec's

Last edited by KaptCrunch; March 30, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2013, 11:25 AM
Shadowmeph's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,452

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
The cooling fan is working fine. And I did break the mounting pins. I have it mounted just barely. It can fall easily.
Oh i I am not sure how I missed that. pull the CPU and see if it has pins most AMD systems do check for bent pins
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2013, 12:00 PM
JayDeeHobbit's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 388

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Oh i I am not sure how I missed that. pull the CPU and see if it has pins most AMD systems do check for bent pins
I don't think this person has the experience level where you would want him to pull out the CPU.

My advice is you take the rig to a professional. Ask friends and family who have purchased PC's if they know someone reliable. It's possible the CPU is dead from having been run without a heatsink for an unknown period and perhaps multiple times.
__________________
"Try looking into that place where you dare not look!
You'll find me there, staring out at you!" - Frank Herbert
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old March 30, 2013, 02:40 PM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,049

My System Specs

Default

The Intel processors should just throttle themselves without dying.

Earlier AMD ones burn up to the point that there would be no mistake of what just happened.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
booting , cooling , cpu , overheating

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WIP Fan Trouble - Light Trouble noname2020x Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery 5 January 30, 2012 11:56 AM
To Bake or Deep Fry Dr_BenD_over Off Topic 26 January 31, 2011 05:15 AM
Nivdia in deep ( Rambus suit ruled on ) ZZLEE Press Releases & Tech News 35 January 27, 2010 03:16 PM
iPod from the deep. MacJunky Troubleshooting 4 April 13, 2009 05:19 AM
Jab-Tech vs. Petras low speed yates.... a deep look. Spawne32 Air Cooling 11 February 20, 2009 05:45 PM