Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2013, 02:43 PM
Rookie

Default Possible graphics card problem? Desperate for help..

Hey guys,

Today when I came home from work, put on my computer, logged in, opened my browser and started to play music...perhaps 10 minutes later the music started stuttering (that almost robotic sound) and then my computer just restarted.

Since then, I can boot up, and when it gets to the windows animated logo screen, it goes black, restarts but doesn't display anything. I've no idea what's causing this. I opened my comp and cleaned it ( there was dust in there, but not much (cleaned my gtx 570 directcu II especially), still nothing. I only reformatted 3 days ago.

I've two monitors hooked up to my 570...

I did a system restore from my windows boot up, and when it restarted, I could get back into windows and login, but just as I opened my browser, the screen just went black, though it didn't restart. I tried rebooting again and now it's resorted to going back to what it was doing before the system restore.

I really need help as I'm a designer and I've deadlines coming up.

Thank you.
Old March 25, 2013, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteddi View Post
Hey guys,

Today when I came home from work, put on my computer, logged in, opened my browser and started to play music...perhaps 10 minutes later the music started stuttering (that almost robotic sound) and then my computer just restarted.

Since then, I can boot up, and when it gets to the windows animated logo screen, it goes black, restarts but doesn't display anything. I've no idea what's causing this. I opened my comp and cleaned it ( there was dust in there, but not much (cleaned my gtx 570 directcu II especially), still nothing. I only reformatted 3 days ago.

I've two monitors hooked up to my 570...

I did a system restore from my windows boot up, and when it restarted, I could get back into windows and login, but just as I opened my browser, the screen just went black, though it didn't restart. I tried rebooting again and now it's resorted to going back to what it was doing before the system restore.

I really need help as I'm a designer and I've deadlines coming up.

Thank you.
Better off checking your RAM first, then your HDD and then possibly motherboard.

What your describing is not generally a gpu issue.
Old March 25, 2013, 04:13 PM
Rookie

Oh, ok. What should I be looking out for? Hadnt touched my computer ina few months, or changed any settings so I am clueless as to what it could be.
Old March 25, 2013, 04:23 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Use Memtest for Windows from HCI to test your ram. Also, why did you reformat 3 days ago - reformat as re-install Windows?
Old March 25, 2013, 04:27 PM
Rookie

Sorry, yes. I re-installed windows (I'd been having other issues prior to this one). How do I check for ram issues? Memory test via startup repair?

FYI: CPU : 2500k.....ram: 8gb corsair dominator.....Motherboard: asus P8Z68 V-Pro......PSU: corsair GS800 watt........Case: corsair carbide 500R....HDD: internal 120 gb OCZ vertex plus SSD & an external 1TB WD Buffalo....Windows 7....1980x1080....nVidia GTX 570 direct cu II ....312 drivers ( can't remember the decimal point numbers.
Old March 25, 2013, 04:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Memtest: MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows

What were the 'other issues'?
Old March 25, 2013, 04:39 PM
Rookie

Honestly, it's a hard one to answer. Over the last few months, windows wanted to do a disk check every 3 or 4 reboots, and I often got warnings about corrupt windows files. I had to reformat as my photoshop and illustrator files got corrupt, reinstalling the program's still didn't fix it it, so reformatting fixed it. To be fair, I've no idea why it has to do a disk check as often as it does. I heard that a windows update corrupted some system files so I stopped with the automatic window updates and it fixed it, Atleast for a while.

This goes beyond my computer knowledge..
Old March 25, 2013, 04:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If Memtest comes back empty (a single error is unacceptable), I would look into replacing that SSD of yours. If you are into the Adobe Suite, I'd look into a newer Intel SSD (very stable drive) and dual WD Black drives in Raid 0 as scratch disks.
Old March 25, 2013, 04:52 PM
Rookie

I just used the memory diagnostic tool and it came back fine. So you think the SSD is the culprit? Is that related to the amount of check disk checks it usually does?
Old March 25, 2013, 05:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you test the whole 8gb?