Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2013, 05:37 PM
Rookie

I didn't see an option for specifics, I ran the memory diagnostic tool from the boot cd ..
Old March 25, 2013, 05:39 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Use Memtest (the link I added). Simply start 7 times the app, indicate to each to test 1000mb and let them run until they hit 100% coverage.
Again, 1 error s too many.
Old March 26, 2013, 05:53 AM
Rookie

Ah sorry, I didn't notice that.

Might you tell me how I'm to use the software if I can't get into Windows?
Old March 26, 2013, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteddi View Post
Ah sorry, I didn't notice that.

Might you tell me how I'm to use the software if I can't get into Windows?
Memtest86+
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Bootable cd
Old March 26, 2013, 11:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I had an OZC SSD Octane, caused all sorts of problems with my pc, some that you describe and a few others. Changed it out for an intel 520 and no more issues. not saying that this is your problem but after alot of headaches that was my issue.
Old March 26, 2013, 01:39 PM
Rookie

Thank you rfglass, that's good to hear.

So, I'm running the memtest, it's been going for over an hour now, it's at 132% with no errors.

I'm assuming that I can say the ram isn't the issue?

Earlier I got an error as I logged into windows that my newly installed 314 nvidia drivers recovered from an error, which turned my display on and off, and I had permanent ghosting when I moved around my browser.

I really hope it's not my GPU :(
Old March 29, 2013, 04:12 AM
Rookie

Ok, so I sent my computer into a PC repair shop to get analyzed and after doing a diagnostic, they found there were ZERO hardware issues.

So, I'm only left with one idea that perhaps I've a sophisticated virus/trojan that has remained on my HDD, or on my external that's infecting my system after each reformat. I've heard that there are viruses that can do that, but are rare.

If they didn't find any hardware related issue, could there be any other explanation?
Old March 29, 2013, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteddi View Post
Ok, so I sent my computer into a PC repair shop to get analyzed and after doing a diagnostic, they found there were ZERO hardware issues.

So, I'm only left with one idea that perhaps I've a sophisticated virus/trojan that has remained on my HDD, or on my external that's infecting my system after each reformat. I've heard that there are viruses that can do that, but are rare.

If they didn't find any hardware related issue, could there be any other explanation?
Most times shops don't really do a proper diagnostic. I worked for a shop that used a program to do a diagnostic test that was absolutely useless.

Your issue could be a mainboard, power supply, ssd etc of which they simply can't test for.

If you have another power supply swap it out and see if the issue remains. Nuke the SSD back to a factory state. Make sure your bios for your motherboard is up to date.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

sounds like memory or hdd to me. Corrupted windows files can happen from bad ram or perhaps the ram isn't running within spec... a little manual bios tweaking can fix that. Alternatively I would try a new SSD like charlie suggested. If the ssd isn't the issue return it.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old April 3, 2013, 10:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with all the steps people have mentioned here but what if you go into safe mode does everything seem ok then? Go into safe mode (F8 while the computer is booting) and choose with networking so that you can get online try going into the browser and just browse a few sites see if it crashes anymore etc..

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120