Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2013, 07:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default laptop won't start

Trying to figure out why a laptop won't start. Its a gateway ms2285. It gets power - the power light comes on and fans start to spin when I turn it on, but then everything stops after about 5 seconds.

The weirdest thing is that occasionally I can hear a faint, almost tune like series of very low beeps that I can't pinpoint where they are coming from because its so low in volume. It's a 2 tone beep, again it sounds like a song, almost not really beeps at all.

The air that comes out of the fan slot is already warm.

It won't boot at all, so can't get into the bios, nothing.

Any suggestions? I've already tried reseating the memory, tried with one stick at a time, tried reseatting the hardrive (even though the hardrive is recognized when connected to another computer, so I don't think its a drive issue). I tried the old trick of unplugged, no battery, hold the power button down for 20 seconds to discharge the laptop - no luck. I haven't opened her up yet, but will be doing that later today, will report back here if I find anything.

Is it an overheating issue? The friend I'm looking at it for said it had been randomly shutting down over the last few weeks, then the last few days it wouldn't always boot. Now it won't boot at all.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

sound if your cpu fan is dead .....beep beep is overheat WARNING now that you ignored the warnings, got a paperweight now cooked MB

mite get lucky if re-TIM cpu HS, replace fan

note laptops aren't couch,bed friend's friendly for the cloth chokes the cooling and lint screws the fan performance
Old March 24, 2013, 08:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

So you think it is from overheating?

Would the fan start up and go for just 5 seconds then stop?

And the "beeps" I wouldn't even call beeps they are so low. The only reason I heard them was because I had the lappy flipped over to watch the fan through the slots on the back. Its a low long tone followed by a short, slightly higher pitched tone. Goes maybe 3 times then stops.

I'm going to try replacing the cmos battery tomorrow, and give everything a good cleaning, see if that does it.
Old March 25, 2013, 05:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Maybe the power supply is weak? Try booting it up with no battery, just in case the power supply can't handle charging it and powering the laptop simultaneously.

Other then that, I'd say either the cpu or mobo is pooched. It takes a lot to kill a cpu though. If you feel ambitious you could try baking the motherboard in the oven for a bit to re-flow solder and see if it comes back to life.
Old March 25, 2013, 05:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm001 View Post
So you think it is from overheating?

Would the fan start up and go for just 5 seconds then stop?

And the "beeps" I wouldn't even call beeps they are so low. The only reason I heard them was because I had the lappy flipped over to watch the fan through the slots on the back. Its a low long tone followed by a short, slightly higher pitched tone. Goes maybe 3 times then stops.

I'm going to try replacing the cmos battery tomorrow, and give everything a good cleaning, see if that does it.
CMOS battery is a waste of time in a laptop.

Your describing a failed motherboard plain and simple. As stated you can try replacing the tim and cleaning the fan but the damage is already done.

Check ebay for a cheap replacement board and install it.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well a little closer look at things and playing around. The "tones" are coming from the harddrive. I take the drive out, no tones and the fan runs without stopping, but still no bios, no boot at all.

If I try another drive in, no "tones", but still no boot to bios.

I had it all apart tonight, cleaned, reapplied thermal paste, new cmos battery.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm001 View Post
Well a little closer look at things and playing around. The "tones" are coming from the harddrive. I take the drive out, no tones and the fan runs without stopping, but still no bios, no boot at all.

If I try another drive in, no "tones", but still no boot to bios.

I had it all apart tonight, cleaned, reapplied thermal paste, new cmos battery.
Hard drives making those types of noises are nothing more than paper weights.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

laptops as far back as the early 2000's have decent thermal protection... sounds like the board is just plain toast. If you are married to this make-model a used replacement on ebay could probably be had... otherwise I would cut your losses and move on.

Coincidence that manufacturers only warrantee their laptops for 1 year? I think not. heh
Old March 26, 2013, 05:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll let the owner know this thing is toast.

I'm now wondering if there was a short or something. When I first got this home I took out the drive, plugged it in my computer and made a backup of it, everything seemed fine. Now the drive has those "beeps" - yes the drive itself is beeping - and plugged it in into my computer now and it says drive error when booting. It's weird that it worked at first, but now after me trying to fix things the drive doesn't work at all. So a short or overheating has fried more than just the motherboard I'd say.

I don't even think its worth a new motherboard, I'll just suggest they get a new laptop.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Does it have a nVidia GPU? If it is around the 8600M GT then it might be a failing GPU. If that is the case, it might be able to recover with a bake/reflow, but it would eventually fail again.