Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2013, 07:36 AM
Rookie

Thumbs down DPC Watchdog Violation.....this is getting annoying

Hello all my fellow pc builders,

I'm having a seriously whacked out error that's causing me some annoyance recently. Since I got my new rig - thanks to the intel retail edge deal - I've been having weird occurrences where I'll shut the pc down, and I'll get a single beep that sounds like a bios error, but then the pc shuts off manually. Booting back up, windows 8 in it's infinite knowledge says that "Something went wrong and cause your PC to restart." It doesn't actually TELL me what went wrong.

So, now the error has started happening inside of windows. Strangely enough, intel's website says my ethernet driver for my motherboard is out of date, but I've updated it multiple times - clean installed the last time too. I mention ethernet because odd things have happened with my two network ports - one will just randomly disappear forcing me to plug the internet into the other port, and sometimes they both just randomly disable until I reboot (which gives the beep error).

My questions are thus:

Firstly: How do I figure out what the hell is causing the BSOD?

Second: If it is my ethernet driver, how do I go about fixing it?

Specs are as follows:

Mobo: Intel DZ77GAL-70k
CPU: Core i7 3770k
RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gig
SSD: Kingston HyberX 240gig
Video: Geforce GTX 670
Video 2: Geforce GTX 470 (Physics only)
PSU: Corsair TX 950

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Anything in the windows logs?
Update to latest bios.
Download the latest nic driver from the intel website, sometimes windows update drivers are screwy. Uninstall the network adaptors, and select delete driver. Then run the downloaded driver install.
When you say the error is happening in windows now, do you mean the beep? Do you get an error message or does it shut down?
Old March 22, 2013, 09:44 AM
Rookie

There's a bunch of info in my event viewer - not sure exactly what to post though.
Already running latest bios
Already tried doing the clean install directly from intel - but to no avail. Will try again though.

The error in windows now is a full on BSOD -no beep.

:(
Old March 22, 2013, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had a few of those caused by slight overclocking, namely, after closing a game or other load like F@H.
If you're running overclocked, the network issue may be a symptom (of chipset or something like that being unstable). An overclock video card (as in overclocking higher than the factory OC) also caused this to happen to me a lot more often.
Old March 22, 2013, 02:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I had a similar BSOD problem with the Intel NIC driver on a AMD board, I went to intels site and downloaded the NIC driver from them...