Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2013, 06:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well, after drying it all night, its still shorting somewhere. when i get back from classes tonight im probably going to tear everything down, ake sure the pins arent shorting on the back plate, and try again....
troubleshooting, yay

Sold Items:
Steelseries Siberia V2 to MAK
Zalman Fan Controller, OCZ Mem Fan Funguseater

Lots of bad things happen in life all the time. You can't control them, so just be happy!
Old March 12, 2013, 06:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I spilled some antifreeze/water mix on the back of an X1900XTX a long time ago.
After drying it for a day, it was still artifacting... so I washed the back of it with water to remove the residue, let it dry for a day in the sun, and it worked no problem afterwards.

Hopefully you get your rig back up and running! No one likes dead hardware :|
Old March 13, 2013, 06:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well.... as of this morning there is still no booting action. it still has a short somewhere. im going to tear the entire comp down and see if i can find exactly what got splashed and see if i can fix it. If i cant find it and the damn thing still wont turn on im fixin to sell the working parts and go with a g75 laptop lol

Sold Items:

Lots of bad things happen in life all the time. You can't control them, so just be happy!
Old March 13, 2013, 10:14 AM
Cooler Master USA

My System Specs

I know this sounds crazy, but has anyone tried placing their parts in a bag of rice? Rice is a desiccant after all. It works very well for those instances where you end up with a wet cell phone...

I'd imagine that the rice grains would be an issue if you didn't seal some areas. Perhaps there's a larger analogue that would perform the task without getting lodged in your parts.

CM Blog, CM Forums, CMHD.tv, CMUSA Questions? -
CM FAQ, Live Support
Old March 13, 2013, 10:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic-CM View Post
I know this sounds crazy, but has anyone tried placing their parts in a bag of rice? Rice is a desiccant after all. It works very well for those instances where you end up with a wet cell phone...

I'd imagine that the rice grains would be an issue if you didn't seal some areas. Perhaps there's a larger analogue that would perform the task without getting lodged in your parts.
Not crazy, its a good idea. That or take dessicant packs and put that in with the item.
Thats why I save it from all the electronics I buy and from shoes. Those little packs save items in these situations.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 13, 2013, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Not crazy, its a good idea. That or take dessicant packs and put that in with the item.
Thats why I save it from all the electronics I buy and from shoes. Those little packs save items in these situations.

-ST
And they make great snacks when you run out of cheesies...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 13, 2013, 10:59 AM
Cooler Master USA

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Mmm... Silica based cheese puffs.

CM Blog, CM Forums, CMHD.tv, CMUSA Questions? -
CM FAQ, Live Support
Old March 13, 2013, 11:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
If you're going that route, wash it down with some Glycol just for giggles sake. Nice and sweet.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 13, 2013, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic-CM View Post

DO NOT PUT YOUR CELL IN RICE IF THE BATTERY IS STILL IN IT!!!

so many dead iphones were if they were just wet I could clean them but for some reason many of them in rice cause the battery to expand the the LCD to bleed and then I refuse to fix them.

But a BB if you take the battery out rice is a miracle worker :)

Same with some components.

Or instead of rice alcohol its the cause and solution to all of lifes problems :)
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old March 13, 2013, 12:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

lol, well good news bad news.

The board runs fine OUT of the case. As soon as I put it in the case its shorting somewhere. I dont know if my backplate is pushing too hard on the doublesidded tape and the pins are contacting or what the hell, but the board just wont run in the case.... lol.

At least it is working though... so i just need to cover the back of the board in electrical tape or something lol

Thanks for all the ideas!
Another one avoids the dust :)

Sold Items: