Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2013, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

8086? Wasn't it the IBM PS/2 model 25 and 30 using that CPU?
That is a bummer. My IBM 5150 is keyed. So was a 5160 I played with. And other than that as long as the ground wires are together it should be fine.

(54KB)

OK, ummmm.
Do not poke your fingers/hand around your graphics card's fan. If your finger/hand gets in the wrong spot a blade might snap off!(and if you do not replace the fan it will run off-balance until the bearings quickly die)
Poor GTX460 ended up with a chopped up AMD stock cooler fan. :( I mean, it works but it has an AMD sticker on it and takes up a fan header elsewhere.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Y'know, this is going back almost 20 years. I bought a few models from the local Mennonite Centeral Commitee to try and learn DOS and the hardware involved. Mostly to learn the OS. But I just couldn't stop myself from farting with the hardware heh. I do believe they were IBM's. Don't remember the model numbers though.

I do remember playing the Incredible Hulk and Castle Wolfenstein text based games in glorious orange and green moochrome though. Off a 51/4 inch floppy.

Edit: Tried looking up the Casle Wolfenstein, doesn't look like what I played. Must of been a similar named title.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; March 7, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old March 8, 2013, 02:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Y'know, this is going back almost 20 years. I bought a few models from the local Mennonite Centeral Commitee to try and learn DOS and the hardware involved. Mostly to learn the OS. But I just couldn't stop myself from farting with the hardware heh. I do believe they were IBM's. Don't remember the model numbers though.

I do remember playing the Incredible Hulk and Castle Wolfenstein text based games in glorious orange and green moochrome though. Off a 51/4 inch floppy.

Edit: Tried looking up the Casle Wolfenstein, doesn't look like what I played. Must of been a similar named title.
flashback its Wolfenstien3D and sound was crappy if didn't have a sound card

lol video 512kb or 1meg ram with 8-bit color oh an 16bit slot

Last edited by KaptCrunch; March 8, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old March 8, 2013, 02:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

resetting bios REMOVE power cord press power button to drain caps then move CMOS jumper 2-3 then back 1-2 power back up
NOTE: if cmos jumper is not on 1-2, system won't boot

another note when flashing make sure your have correct file for MB for some manufators make REVISIONS of hardware on MB

lets say MB revision notice same model name but different bios so hardware instructions match up for manu changed a chip vendor

and do it in dos on older hardware , new stuff can use manu app (current) to update bios on line or in CMOS

another tip make sure you have good power (no brown/blackouts) and not stop firmware update once it starts, if does you just made a door stop for cmos lost its data to operate....DOA

Last edited by KaptCrunch; March 8, 2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old March 8, 2013, 04:26 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If your new system stays stuck on bios welcome screen,take out the graphic's card and install windows without it.

If your SSD does appear in bios but not in windows installer,do that:

1.Boot up Windows 7 disc.
2.When the welcome screen comes up on Windows Setup, press Shift + F10, which will display a command prompt.
3.Type "diskpart" (no quotes) and press enter.
4.Type "list disk" and press enter.
5.Hopefully you can see your SSD in the list. You should see a number identifying it. Now type "select disk X" (where X is the number identifying your SSD) and press enter.
6.Type "clean" and press enter. This will write a blank MBR, YOU WILL LOSE ANY DATA ON THE SSD if you did have anything on it.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:02 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
That is a bummer. My IBM 5150 is keyed. So was a 5160 I played with. And other than that as long as the ground wires are together it should be fine.

(54KB)

OK, ummmm.
Do not poke your fingers/hand around your graphics card's fan. If your finger/hand gets in the wrong spot a blade might snap off!(and if you do not replace the fan it will run off-balance until the bearings quickly die)
Poor GTX460 ended up with a chopped up AMD stock cooler fan. :( I mean, it works but it has an AMD sticker on it and takes up a fan header elsewhere.
MacJunky wrote this post using that rig btw.
Fold for team #54196