Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2013, 02:13 PM
Rookie

Default Computer won't start

I have my new build together and finally have it half hazzardly set up on a table with the case open. There were (2) 2 pronged attachments coming from the case front that I couldnt' figure out how to connect. The case manual is no help and I have no 'female' ends to plug into them, not sure if they hook into the motherboard or the PSU (although there's a 4 pronged male connector that comes from the case and that hooked into the PSU just fine, some case fans also tied into the same cord nicely as well).
When I turn my new build on there are no beeps, the fans are all running and after about 3-4 seconds it powers off. Then it'll auto try and reboot with the same result.

I have 2 identical cords; one end marked PSU the other end PSI-E and I hooked them both up to the video card. the PSU end in the PSU and the PSI-E end in the video card.

2 power cords were attached to the PSU and one obviously goes near the ram as that would power the board. THe other smaller cord which divided into 2 equal ends I also plugged into the motherboard up to the higher left end of the motherboard (to the left of the CPU/fan).

the USB cord that comes from the case is hooked into the USB1 port

then there's the other messy connection that has (red cord, one hole) power led +, (black cord, one hole) power led -, (red and black cord, 2 holes) power sw, (red and black cord, 2 holes) power reset.
then there's the little adapter with 9 holes and 9 prongs with pwr sw-, pwr sw+, fp pwr/slp, fp pwr/slp, pwr led+, pwr led-, rst sw-, rst sw+, rsvd_dnu

I have a feeling that my issues have to do with that last bit. I'm looking online and on youtube to find a tutorial but I'm wondering if perhaps someone knows exactly what I may be missing.
Old March 5, 2013, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

pics? More than likely it's something simple. Could you post some pics of the overall rig, plus some close-ins of the connectors that you are questioning?

Also, the make and model of your motherboard, pls.

A couple of things off the top of my head. Is your GPU (if so equipped) seated properly, with all power connectors attached? Do you have a fan plugged into the fan header marked 'CPU'?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 5, 2013, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you can list off your specs it may help in trying to figure out what is wrong. Some pictures would help as well. But it sounds like you have the power connectors plugged in properly, 24 pin on motherboard by the ram, 8 pin up by top left corner, and the two pcie video card cables. For now I would just connect the pw_sw wire on the bottom right of the motherboard. That is the wire for the power switch on the case that will turn on the computer. try it again after verifying all connectors are secure.

Other possible issues: Ram incompatible, or in the wrong slots, cpu isn't seated properly.
Old March 5, 2013, 02:43 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelight77 View Post
then there's the other messy connection that has (red cord, one hole) power led +, (black cord, one hole) power led -, (red and black cord, 2 holes) power sw, (red and black cord, 2 holes) power reset.

then there's the little adapter with 9 holes and 9 prongs with pwr sw-, pwr sw+, fp pwr/slp, fp pwr/slp, pwr led+, pwr led-, rst sw-, rst sw+, rsvd_dnu
First batch of cables are from your case's switches and lights. On the board, those connectors all go to the same place: 'front panel connections'. Check out your manual to know where to install them.

Advice, the colored wire is the positive, the black wire the negative.

Second connector sounds like the case's sound jacks - check out the manual, and search for 'front panel sound'.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

try hooking up some jumper cables from a working computer. if that doesn't do it, shoot some starter fluid into the carburetor. also, make sure to check the muffler bearing for any unusual signs of wear.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:40 PM
Rookie

Yeah I think I'm hoooked up properly, sata cords and power cords all seem to be running to the correct places. I even removed the motherboard to make sure it was properly mounted and that didn't seem to be the problem. I tired to take some pics but my android is giving me grief now too. I think I should jsut go into a shop and get some guy to put it together for $100. For all I know there could be a manufacturers defect and I'd never know it. I've spent all day on this and this isn't worth the grief. I know now to jsut buy comps and have them professionally put together. Sorry to bother you all :(

If it runs for 5 seconds and then shuts down it almost sounds like it could be 1 of 1000 issues.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:50 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

One last easy check - grounding issues. And it's easy with the board out. Check inside the case, you should find 9 copper stand-offs (if the board is ATX), which you used to secure the board with 9 screws.

Now, how many stand-offs are installed, and do they line up with the 9 holes on the board? If there are too many, or a single one is mislocated, then a short can happen which will prevent the board from booting properly.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What CPU cooler do you have? Is it mounted properly? If it wasn't making good contact then the CPU could be overheating and that would cause a shutdown. Before taking the parts to a shop to have them put it together, I'd take everything out of the case and put motherboard atop the motherboard box. Connect only the graphics card to the motherboard and CPU and ram. Attach only the 24 pin power connectors, 8 pin CPU connector to top left of the board, and the 2 for the video card. Do not attach any drives. Hookup monitor and keyboard/mouse. With the ppwer supply plugged in and on, Take a flathead screwdriver and touch the two pins that are labelled PW_sw on the motherboard. That is the same as what pushing the power button would do. Hopefully the computer will POST and you will get into the bios . by eliminating the case and drives you can more easily troubleshoot what is going on by breaking the system down to the most basic components. Good luck!!!
Old March 5, 2013, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

do you have the speaker connected to the motherboard so that you can hear the beep codes?
I agree with 3.0charlie I also think that it is probably a grounding issue maybe a screw or something caught under the Motherboard grounding it out. the specs would also help
Old March 5, 2013, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Please don't give up so easily. Building and troubleshooting PCs is a very rewarding experience. It just takes some time and patience.

Plus, a 'professional' at a store won't put half as much care and effort as you would into your build. Sure, he'll plug everything into the right places, but he won't give a frak about cable management or a 'clean' build.

Take everything apart again, watch some videos on youtube

like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea_bs5G1yYU,

take a deep breath and then start over. When your rig finally comes to life and posts, you'll be the happiest man on the planet.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;