Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Stuttering when recording replays after H100i install (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/59999-stuttering-when-recording-replays-after-h100i-install.html)

Jeff1961 March 3, 2013 07:40 PM

Stuttering when recording replays after H100i install

Hello. :)

I've made a lot of videos of game replays the past year.
I use FRAPS ver. 3.5.0.

I've never had any stuttering problems while recording replays, until a recent hardware change in my system.

Even when I set the replay graphics in iRacing down to the lowest default (6)...the stuttering problem is there. I've been able to record replays at the highest graphics settings, many times...without any problems.

I thought it might be corrupt replay files, but the stuttering does not always happen in the same place in the replay.

I will see very little stuttering over the course of a 25 minute replay.

FRAPS records my FPS at around 80 before I begin to record.
After recording begins it drops to 60, sometimes 30. It tends to lock on to either of these at random for most of the replay.
But then it will suddenly jump down from 60 to 55 and i'll see a stutter in the frame rate. Or it will be at 30 and drop to 27 and i'll see a stutter. Or in the space of 4 seconds it will jump up between 27 and 60, stopping briefly at various fps inbetween...and again i'll see stuttering. I don't always see stuttering when it makes large jumps in frame rate. Just occasionally.
I don't recall ever seeing stuttering when I just "play" the replay...as opposed to when FRAPS is recording it.

It's as if my system resources are being used elsewhere.

Soon after installing the Corsair H100i I ran in to a serious problem. Not even the bios would start. I later discovered I had not properly seated the ram. But before I discovered that, I reset the bios to its defaults.

I've tried to think of how anything i've done to the bios since I installed the new Corsair H100i...might have affected the system and be the cause of the stuttering.
I'm not an expert on my computer, or even bios software.
There's only three things that I could think of that may be related:
1. The person who built my system may have overclocked the ram. I had some photographs of how some bios pages looked before, and now they are slightly different. (DRAM Timing Configuration under DRAM 2nd Information...the values are not the same)..see EDIT below
2. I was uncertain whether the default was correct for Storage Configuration under OnChip SATA Speed. My system and program drives are SSD, but the hdd's are all SATA6...so I set it to SATA6. (the default was SATA3) I have since set it back to "Auto". This did not help.
3. And for the SSD's I changed the SATA settings to ACHI instead of IDE. (Storage Configuration/SATA Ports ...)
EDIT - PHOTOS OF BIOS ADDED :ph34r: (Jan 2011, Mar 2013)
The 2011 photos are before I changed anything, and show a different DRAM Timing Config. I have no idea how relevant this might be to the stuttering issue. The 2013 photos are an update to the bios, but I had that update before the install of the Corsair H100i...when I had no stuttering.
The H100i comes with software called CorsairLINK2. This is very "busy" software, taking measurements of all my fans, cpu and gpu. But I don't have it open and running while playing games. (ver 2.2.0 / Firmware 1.0.5)
I wondered if this may be occasionally taking measurements while the program is closed, and they are taking up too many resources.

All the temperatures and speeds being displayed by CorsairLINK2, my mobo AI Suite II software, and my AMD Catalyst Control Center software...are stable, predictable and adjust appropriately when changes are made. Nothing abnormal or fluctuating. (i have been worrying that i've damaged some hardware when installing the heatsink...but I don't believe so)

The only other changes that i've made to my system are installing updates to Acrobat Pro (9.5.3) and two for Trading Paints. (1.0.5, 1.0.6)
There were updates to iRacing and Windows just prior to the replacement, but I had recorded replays after that without a problem.

I'm hoping someone might recognize the fps behaviour i've described and give me an idea of where to look for the cause.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. :)

SYSTEM INFO:
Win7Pro64
AMD Phenom II 1090T
ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme
Sapphire HD6970
Corsair Dominator 1666 RAM - 16GB
Corsair AX850 PSU

IRQ Conflict March 3, 2013 08:03 PM

Whoo boy that's a bit of info. I'm not sure on the SSD's but I do know that if you install windows on a normal HD in SATA mode then switch to AHCI after the fact it can cause problems. It sounds more like a playback issue to me. What software are you using to play it back?

Jeff1961 March 4, 2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict (Post 694155)
Whoo boy that's a bit of info. I'm not sure on the SSD's but I do know that if you install windows on a normal HD in SATA mode then switch to AHCI after the fact it can cause problems. It sounds more like a playback issue to me. What software are you using to play it back?

The os was originally installed on the SSD's...and then I read-up on how to manage them and changed the settings to AHCI later. Lots of testing...great improvements from that, and they've both behaved well for two years.

However I had not looked at the SATA settings before, nor did I take a photo of the way it was before. So when I reset the bios and saw SATA3...I thought...this must be wrong. I've got a SATA6 mobo and SATA6 hdd's (storage not os). But I wasn't sure how that setting would affect my SSD's...if at all. I think not at all.

The "playback" in iRacing is from within the game. Most racing games...you can't save replays. You can watch a replay afterwards and record it with another program like FRAPS at that point. Which I also have done.
However with iRacing it stores the race data in small files, your run the game interface within a browser...open the replay, which triggers the game on your local drive to start up...and it plays! :)

So all I have to do is have another program like FRAPS running at the same time...and hit record...and I get an uncompressed avi of the game replay.

I've made tons of 'em. lol
All without stuttering.
Can't figure out what has changed.

Jeff1961 March 4, 2013 12:00 PM

I've just edited my initial post to include links to photos of the DRAM Timing Congifuration difference I was talking about.

IRQ Conflict March 4, 2013 01:46 PM

Hmm. download CPUZ and look at the memory tab. See what it says your running at. then look at your SPD tab. Strange. Maybe the older BIOS didn't properly detect the 2nd info? but a +/- of 1 CAS should not matter here nor there.

Edit: Also have a look at your startup programs in MSConfig. see if there might be any unknowns in there. Disable antivirus when running the game. See if any of that helps.

I assume your running the latest patch ((if any) for the game?

Are you familiar with using Driver Sweeper when changing GPU drivers?

Bloodystumps March 4, 2013 04:35 PM

Can you post the ram part number for me??

It should be something like CMT8GX3M2A1600C9

Jeff1961 March 4, 2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodystumps (Post 694303)
Can you post the ram part number for me??

It should be something like CMT8GX3M2A1600C9

Here it is: CMP8GX3M2A1600C9

Thanks for your help. :thumb:

Bloodystumps March 4, 2013 05:39 PM

Try setting your ram to its rated speed and voltage, as of right now it is in the default setting in the main tab under "extreme tweaker" set it to 1600Mhz @ 1.65 volts, the voltage is near the bottom of that page..

Try that and see if it helps..

Jeff1961 March 4, 2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodystumps (Post 694319)
Try setting your ram to its rated speed and voltage, as of right now it is in the default setting in the main tab under "extreme tweaker" set it to 1600Mhz @ 1.65 volts, the voltage is near the bottom of that page..

Try that and see if it helps..

I've looked at the DRAM Frequency under Extreme Tweaker (if that's where I change to 1600Mhz) and there was no option for 1600...just 1666.
I will check what it says for DRAM Voltage under Extreme Tweaker and change to 1.65.

Bloodystumps March 4, 2013 06:16 PM

yea it will probably be @ 1666 because the AI overclock tuner is set to D.O.C.P , You can just leave it at 1666 and adjust your Dram voltage to 1.65...