Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2013, 11:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoboHobo View Post
Hi Jeff. Looking at your system and situation and also being an iRacer, I'm not sure that there is anything "wrong" with your setup. I can't see it having anything to do with Corsair link if it is turned off while you are recording your replays with FRAPS. What I have noticed is, since the last update (addition of the Gen 6 SS), tons of people have seen their FPS drop. This is thought to be because of the higher resolution textures of the SS. I also know that Trading Paints released new software that loads car textures of custom paints when you enter race. I don't know if you use Trading Paints.

Since replays are frame by frame replicas of what happens in the race, your stuttering is occurring in the race and has nothing to do with recording or FRAPS and everything to do with iRacing. I'm sorry that I don't have a concrete answer for you but suggest;

Check the iRacing forums (hardware) and go through the sticky for ATI optimizations. Read any posts there that have to do with stuttering. Some people find that setting up AA and AF through Catalyst Control Center instead of within iRacing has gotten rid of stuttering. Also you may want to check your CPU and GPU temperatures while racing to see if either is getting too hot which can lead to reduced FPS.
Since you installed the H100i, have you stressed your CPU to make sure that the heatsink is mounted correctly? I would run OCCT for a minimum of 1 hour and see what your CPU temps get to. Run Furmark torture test and see what your GPU temps get to.

Good luck with it!
Good advice...I will check out the iRacing forums. I did post a duplicate there...of what I posted here. But no one responded. Perhaps I posted in the wrong sub-forum. [1]
Old March 5, 2013, 09:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Spoke too soon. Tried a number of things tonight, but no luck.

I read a discussion on issues in the games forum, some interesting things there that seemed relevant but nothing I tried helped. Such as bringing down the slider for adjusting how much of my GPU ram to use. I brought it down to 1150 out of 2GB. No change. I should post on that thread.

I tweaked Fraps a bit, no luck.
I had Fraps set to record video at 30fps. I did not have "lock framerate while recording" checked. But when I did, same problem.
Assuming the HDD was damaged, I moved the "Folder to save movies in" location to another hdd. An excellent drive with no such constant recording as the one I had been using. But the problem persisted.

I tried vsync on in-game. I tried it on and "Wait for vertical refresh" set to "Always On". I tried vsync off in-game and "Always On" with CCC. Same problem persisted.

Given that people discussing issues with the game are having their problems without recording, and i've pulled my replay graphics settings down to the absolute bottom...and the problem is still there, I have a hard time being convinced it is a game problem. I have no stuttering during replay without recording, and during regular game play. Just when recording a replay.

Last edited by Jeff1961; March 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:16 AM
Trial Member

Default h100i

Another thing that could cause stuttering is heat, yes your H100i is cooling the cpu but by changing the location of the fan ( and the direction of airflow you might have inadvertantly caused other area's to heat more, so try running the computer and recording with the side of the case off and see if that has an impact. If it does than unfortunatly it is Heat Related :( which means ya gotta apply more airflow to the afflicted area ( video card, capictors near the cpu, etc... ) also wouldn't hurt to dust out your Video cards fan if you didn't already when you installed the H100i ( don't forget the psu and every nook and crany of the case.)

Tags
h100i , recording , stuttering