Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2013, 05:48 PM
Trial Member

My System Specs

Default Bad SSD or

i recently purchased a computer and since i got low storage 120gb i put a semi old hdd in from my ps3 also a 120 gb to save game files i download. now the bios sees only the hdd and also the optical in boot. but if i do a power dump after shutdown it sees the ssd sometimes. does that sound like a bad ssd. or am i doing something wrong.
m5 a97 r2.0 mb, amd fx 8320 120gb ssd (ibuypower) version

update: i installed a driver update to the sata controler. it was 2006 now 2012 year. also ive disconected the other drive. i ordered a new hdd with bigger cap. im using the ssd now and when i posted. i just dont get y im having problems unless the update was needed? i will keep an update and any help is appreciated. Thanx. :)

Last edited by LoonAtick; March 3, 2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: update: sata ati.. driver
Old March 3, 2013, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

termation of drives (IDE) or bios setting

also check ssd firmware
Old March 3, 2013, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
termation of drives (IDE) or bios setting

also check ssd firmware
Did you mean termination? And would you care to explain? Because termination never existed in IDE drives only SCSI.

With IDE drives you would have to designate what drive was Master or Slave based off the cable and jumper settings. But the Playstation drive is a SATA drive so that wouldn't apply.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Did you mean termination? And would you care to explain? Because termination never existed in IDE drives only SCSI.

With IDE drives you would have to designate what drive was Master or Slave based off the cable and jumper settings. But the Playstation drive is a SATA drive so that wouldn't apply.
yes master/slave IDE or may he needs a bios update for sata

any how need more info
Old April 4, 2013, 01:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

those are symptoms of a dying SSD, I noticed them at a Vertex SSD. Updating the firmware from like 3 generations in a row did nothing to prevent it from dying. Hopefully is still in warranty. also verify the SATA connector not to be loose at the SSD connector.
Old April 4, 2013, 04:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
those are symptoms of a dying SSD, I noticed them at a Vertex SSD. Updating the firmware from like 3 generations in a row did nothing to prevent it from dying. Hopefully is still in warranty. also verify the SATA connector not to be loose at the SSD connector.
Agreed! Same thing happened on my OCZ drive. Sent it in for RMA and received a new drive within a week