Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2013, 12:28 AM
Rookie

Default Replaced Power Supply, PC wont boot

The PSU of my PC broke down (failed paper clip test) so I had it replaced. After making all the connections back on the replacement unit, my PC wont boot. The fans spin however I did not hear a motherboard beep (although I dont think it ever did when it was working). Moreover, hitting the power button again would not turn off the PC, I would have to hit the PSU switch to turn it off. I checked my connections and I cant find anything I missed. Any ideas HWC?
Old February 28, 2013, 12:39 AM
MVP

So your old PSU died? Probably took some of the components with it. Unless you have spare parts, it's hard to troubleshoot. Try turning it on with nothing but 1 stick of RAM to see if it posts.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:09 AM
MVP

Are you able to post a pic of your setup?
Old February 28, 2013, 03:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You might have to do a cmos reset (should either be a set of jumpers, or on some newer motherboards it's a microswitch). It doesn't happen very often but I've come across a few motherboards that wouldn't initially post with a new PSU, but did after a cmos reset.... my best guess is that the voltages the motherboard polls for are within spec, but at the extreme range.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old February 28, 2013, 11:00 AM
Rookie

Things have just gotten interesting. I took another look at the PC and noticed, or rather, didnt notice any LEDs on the motherboard, so I suspect the motherboard has died with the PSU. I mind as well try a new installing a new cell battery to see if that makes a difference.
In order to reach that battery I had to remove the GPU. With the GPU removed I mind as well take a clothe and remove some dust in the area I couldn't reach before.
Underneath one of the cable management panels that separate the chambers of the chassis (see picture)

I found some liquid. It was not water, and if left a residue. Wiping it with a cloth left some yellowish color on the cloth.

So now I suspect my liquid cooling heatsink had a leak, killed my PSU and my motherboard.

When I first noticed my PC wouldnt power up, there was a puddle of water beside the base of the computer, not directly underneath. I thought someone in the household has spilled a drink and wouldnt admit to that fact. When I opened up the PC, I discovered no liquids in the chassis, so I assumed no liquid got in. However the PSU did fail the paperclip test and I had it RMA'd.

After I installed the new PSU, and turned on the PC, the watercooled heatsink was making a growing loud squealing sound. I immediately powered off the PC. Trouble shooting attempts had me connecting the heatsink to its own molex connector. (I thought the sound was due to a lack of voltage).

Does this seem to add up to you guys?
Old February 28, 2013, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

this may be a really dumb question but I have done this before ( been along since) but did you plug the power cable back into the video card?
Old February 28, 2013, 11:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
this may be a really dumb question but I have done this before ( been along since) but did you plug the power cable back into the video card?
Yes. I believe the GPU would start beeping if I didn't.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yikes, so the liquid leaked out and ran down the board?
If you haven't already, remove the heatsink and install something else, because that coolit would be useless without the liquid inside. Where do you live? A forum member may have some spare parts to help test with and narrow down the problem.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:49 AM
MVP

The CoolIT eco has done this before. There is/was a post on the NCIX forums about a failure like yours about a year ago. I have one myself and it did have some issues with a gurgling sound and temp spikes. coolit sent me the eco II as a replacement. I suggest you contact Coolit asap.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot6strings View Post
The CoolIT eco has done this before. There is/was a post on the NCIX forums about a failure like yours about a year ago. I have one myself and it did have some issues with a gurgling sound and temp spikes. coolit sent me the eco II as a replacement. I suggest you contact Coolit asap.
Hey I had the same issue to they sent me a credit with my Supplier though since theirs blew up my mobo gpu and the coolit itself.
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”